Views
Helpful
Replies

Network LAN Design

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I'm designing an office LAN that has 4 floors and a comms room. I require 200 x 1Gbps PoE ports per floor with 10Gbps fibre connections back to the core located in the comms room.

I'm thinking of using Cisco 2960X 48 port stack switches with 10Gb SFP+ uplinks on each floor and a 2 x 3850 in switch stack in the core, the 3850s will each have 4 x 10GB modules and dual PSUs. Each 2960 stack will then uplink to the core using 2 x 10Gbps links.

Is the 3850 suitable for this size of deployment? I have looked at using two 4500 switches in the core but its a lot more costly even with a single chassis and dual SUPs.

Any advise would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The 4 port 10Gig modules are designed to be the uplink ports for the 3850 switches and not the aggregation point. Your design can work but most likely you run to so some sort of performance issues.

If the cost is an issue for you not to invest in better fiber switches like the 4500-x, than why even use 10Gigs as uplinks.  I suggest you get 2 "WS-C3850-12S-S" switches and use one gig fiber as your uplinks. Also think of 10Gig optics cost vs 1Gig optics. 10Gig optics are at least 2x more expensive.

HTH

Tagir Temirgaliyev
Spotlight
Spotlight

you need to ask yourself what network perfomance you need.

for example if everyone will watch HD tv so everyone needs about 5mbit pro second perfomance so complite floor needs 5mbit x 200 = 1gig pro second

so uplink should be at least 1 gig

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm designing an office LAN that has 4 floors and a comms room. I require 200 x 1Gbps PoE ports per floor with 10Gbps fibre connections back to the core located in the comms room.

Not enough info.  

What kind kind of PoE switch are you planning?  Half power or full power? 

How many people per floor?   

How many PoE end-points per floor? 

What are the non-powered end-points?  Are they ordinary PCs/Printers?  If ordinary PC, what network traffic are you planning to push? 

I'm thinking of using Cisco 2960X 48 port stack switches with 10Gb SFP+ uplinks on each floor and a 2 x 3850 in switch stack in the core, the 3850s will each have 4 x 10GB modules and dual PSUs.

Still not enough info.  If you have a funding issue, why did you settle for a 3850?  Why not a 3650? 

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, willscotty2012. 

I highly recommend going with the 2960-X and 3850 for the latest models and meeting your required port density and fiber connections. Earlier replies has a point as well, we need to better understand your requirements (to see if this is a suitable deployment. 

The Cisco 3850 supports converged wired and wireless network (integrated controller), which is a good investment for sizing your wireless network. 

Let me know if you have additional concerns or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards. 

bsiapco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, willscotty2012,

How did your deployment go? Did you go with a 2960-X and a 3850? Let me know if you need additional information or other concerns. You can email me directly at (bsiapco@cisco.com)

Thanks!

Barry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card