Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Switch and Router

bilalghayad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All;

I am looking for a resonable price for Network Switch support PoE, VLAN, DHCP and routing between the VLANs. Actually they advised me for Catalyst 3560v2 but it is expensive. What is the one which is cheaper than it and doing my needed functionalities (or let us say, equivalent to 3560v2 but no need for the complex features .. as the office is only 20 employers).

Also for a router, I need a DSL router and to be supporting PPPoA, they advised me for 1841 with Security Bundle, but also it is costed. What I can find an altervative and to be supporting VPN and to be a DSL router for our office?

Highly appreciated the help.

Regards

Bilal

8 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

How many ports you require..If number of ports are less,you can use 3560-c and 2960 -c...They have 8 ports...Otherwise all cisco switches will be expensive than what you referred...Check if 2960 S can serve your purpose.

View solution in original post

Geert Reijnders
Level 1
Level 1

how about a 2960 as a switch and a 800 series ISR Roiuter for a DSL router. It depends on the type of DSL which one you need. One drawback is that the 800 series router only supports 4 layer 3 vlans. I don't know if that is enough.

Hi Bilal,

Choose 2960S-24PS-L, it will come with 24 ports also you can choose whether 24 port or 48 ports (2960S-48LPS-L) it depends on your requirement.

Cisco 800 ISR routers support VPN both site to site and client to site.
The 4 layer 3 vlans means... You can create 4 VLAN's (seperate logical networkk)

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Hi Bilal,

The correct one is Cisco Catalyst 2960S-24PD-L (24 Ethernet 10/100/1000 PoE+ ports)

Regards,
Naidu.

The 2960 has 24 ports or 48 ports. see the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/prod_models_comparison.html

The 800 series router does support vpn and PPPoE and PPPoA. You don't need to connect another modem to it, because het has an ADSL interface. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_models_comparison.html

What I meant with the 4 layer 3 vlans. The router support 4 different logical vlans. You can create for instance, a DMZ, LAN, Management network and something else.

Does this clearify it for you?

Kind regards,

Geert Reijnders

What is the difference between 3560v2 and 2960?

If I used 2960, then I will be able to create VLANs and have routing between the VLANs?

No.

the 3560v2 is a layer 3 switch.

With a 2960 you can't route between vlans. That's where the 800 series router is for. If you create a trunk between the switch and the router, the router can route between the vlans.

Hi Bilal,

As said above, 3560 is a layer 3 switch in which you can configure vlans and do inter vlan routing.
For you cisco 2960 and a 800 router is enough as you have just few users.
You can configure vlans and inter vlan routg in 800 router then configure the uplink port (to which your 2960 is connected) as a trunk port #switch port mode trunk
Then you can assign vlans in those ports in 2960 switch.

Regards,
Naidu.

14 Replies 14

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

How many ports you require..If number of ports are less,you can use 3560-c and 2960 -c...They have 8 ports...Otherwise all cisco switches will be expensive than what you referred...Check if 2960 S can serve your purpose.

Does cisco has 12 or 16 ports of 3560-c and 2960 -c switches?

Thanks

Regards

Bilal

No,they only come with 8 ports.

And what about: Cisco Catalyst 3560-12PC?
I got it from the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

Regards

Bilal

Thats not a 3560 C..Its aggregator switch,in which all ports are SFP ports.

Geert Reijnders
Level 1
Level 1

how about a 2960 as a switch and a 800 series ISR Roiuter for a DSL router. It depends on the type of DSL which one you need. One drawback is that the 800 series router only supports 4 layer 3 vlans. I don't know if that is enough.

Thanks all.

But what I need is 24 ports, so I beleive that 2960 can not help me, correct?

About the 800 series ISR router: does it support VPN? About the DSL, we need it to support PPPoE and PPPoA without need to connect a modem for it.

But really I did not understand what do u mean that it is only supports 4 layer 3 vlans?

The 4 layer maybe u mean up to IP address layer, correct? So it does not support application layer ... so what I am going to miss in this case? But really I did not understand what do u mean by only support 3 vlans?

Regards

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

Choose 2960S-24PS-L, it will come with 24 ports also you can choose whether 24 port or 48 ports (2960S-48LPS-L) it depends on your requirement.

Cisco 800 ISR routers support VPN both site to site and client to site.
The 4 layer 3 vlans means... You can create 4 VLAN's (seperate logical networkk)

Regards,
Naidu.

Hi Bilal,

The correct one is Cisco Catalyst 2960S-24PD-L (24 Ethernet 10/100/1000 PoE+ ports)

Regards,
Naidu.

The 2960 has 24 ports or 48 ports. see the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/prod_models_comparison.html

The 800 series router does support vpn and PPPoE and PPPoA. You don't need to connect another modem to it, because het has an ADSL interface. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_models_comparison.html

What I meant with the 4 layer 3 vlans. The router support 4 different logical vlans. You can create for instance, a DMZ, LAN, Management network and something else.

Does this clearify it for you?

Kind regards,

Geert Reijnders

Dears;

Thanks a lot for replying and kindly help.

If I used 2960, then I will be able to create VLANs and have routing between the VLANs?

Regards

Bilal

No.

the 3560v2 is a layer 3 switch.

With a 2960 you can't route between vlans. That's where the 800 series router is for. If you create a trunk between the switch and the router, the router can route between the vlans.

Hi Bilal,

As said above, 3560 is a layer 3 switch in which you can configure vlans and do inter vlan routing.
For you cisco 2960 and a 800 router is enough as you have just few users.
You can configure vlans and inter vlan routg in 800 router then configure the uplink port (to which your 2960 is connected) as a trunk port #switch port mode trunk
Then you can assign vlans in those ports in 2960 switch.

Regards,
Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card