Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

New access layer switches

Hey all,

we need to buy new access layer switches, which model should we pick?

2960X, 3850, 9200, xyz ?

We always would like to stack two 48 Port Switches.

- So they need to support stack.

- We need PoE

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
VIP Mentor

Re: New access layer switches

2960-X and 3650/3850 are solid workhorses, but nowadays they are the legacy product-line and I would go for 9200. Be aware of the needed DNA-licenses that you have to buy also if you don't use DNA.

Another option could be to use Meraki MS210/MS225 cloud manages switches. Not that many features as the Catalyst series, but very easy to manage and probably enough features for 90% of the typical customers.

Engager

Hi @as00001111 ,

Among the models that indicate the C9200-48P is the most modern and to which Cisco suggests migrating from the 3850 models. I leave the link with the models of these series:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/nb-06-cat9200-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html

Obviously, you should review the different models well to choose the one that best suits your network.

Regards

VIP Advisor

Cat 9200 is moving forward. (if you need some advanced feature Cat 9300)

BB
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Participant

Currently 3850 are my favorite as they can be used in Access or Distribution layers.
3850 include IOS-XE, PoE, and StackWise solution with up to 9 switches stackable in 1 stack. Adding new Switch to the stack is easy and c3850 do support auto-software upgrade.
Hall of Fame Community Legend

@as00001111 wrote:

We always would like to stack two 48 Port Switches.

- So they need to support stack.

- We need PoE

Are you planning to do static VLAN assignments (and no Dot1X)?  If you're not doing Dot1X, go with 9200-48P-E.

Don't skimp on the stacking cable and go with two (2) one-metre cables.  

Because of the "Essential" (aka basic) feature set, you won't need DNA licenses.  

Take note that the fibre optic uplink modules are optional.  

Reminder:  Cisco Enhanced Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty - Read this very carefully.  

Highlighted
Beginner

@Leo Laohoo 

I forgot to mention that I currently use dot1x with an acs server that might get replaced by an ISE server.

Are the 9200 capable of doing that?

VIP Mentor

Beginner

which license do you mean?

9200 can support Dot1X, however, I'd choose the beefier 9300 just to make sure.
Beginner

Hey, i got some more questions regarding 9200 vs 9200L:

1) I understand that the uplink module is fixed in 9200L, so when I buy that switchi also get a built in uplink module. But what about the 9200? Do I have to order an uplink module additionally?

2) We use Cisco IP PoE Phones with the PoE+ standard. When I do a show power inline, there is a power consumption of 12 watts, the total amount is 30watts. Which power supply do I need in a 48 port switch with 48 poe phones?

Thank you

1. Uplink modules are optional so they need to be purchased separately.
2. 1K power supplies.
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards