cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Layer 3 Switch

stein9700
Level 1
Level 1

I have a site that needs a new Layer 3 switch. Its a smaller site 200 desktops & 200 ish wireless devices. There is 2504 WLC, 2x 2960s & 2 2960x switches all interconnect via 1gb fiber.

Main layer 3 is C3750V2

Was thinking of buying a C9300 

Thoughts?

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Catalyst 9300 should work fine. There are 24 ports, 48 ports, POE, none POE options.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/nb-06-cat9300-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cat 9300 is a good choice for replacing old legacy kit if you looking L3 Option if it Layer 2 Cat 9200 for cost-saving.

But i prefer to have Cat 9300

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7
Yea, C9300 is great except Cisco force you to bundle with that 3-year DNA license...

So will the DNA license help diagnose issue on their network?

I'd love it if it had netflow built into it without having a license the feature.

Yes, it's definitely better than nothing if you have Cisco DNA Center co-work together.

The cisco catalyst 9300 switch is a good option to go with. 

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The C9300 would be logical replacement, but you didn't note what your actual requirements are, other possible switches might include the 3650, or the SMB 550X or 350 series of L3 switches. If your L3 requirements are light, even a "L2" with a basic routing feature might work for you.

Something to consider, is whether you might (if not already doing so) have a "redundant" core via stacking a pair of stackable switches. (Your network is large enough, losing all of it, if one device fails, is, generally, not a good thing.)

So core sites run 5k, this is not a core site. I was thinking about 3650 but I had asked about 9300 instead.

No need for stack trying to keep the cost down on this.

thanks

Understand both you want to keep costs down, and it's not the core, however, still losing 200 (plus?) hosts with one device is something to seriously consider addressing. That's one reason you might look at a least expensive device, that would allow stacking. Again, you need to consider your operational requirements beyond just (perhaps) obtain the latest and best small L3 switch.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

C3850 is my favorite; it just went into EOL but I think u can still get it from 3rd party vendors

otherwise 9200/9300

pick the cat 9ks , the life of the support will be longer than any 3k available

9k's are not going to happen...........

So I am either going to go with

WS-C3850-48F-L 

WS-C3650-48PD-S

C9300-48P-E 

with CISCO DIGITAL NETWORK ARCHITECTURE ESSENTIALS 

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card