cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Project ( need help )

shala.arber
Level 1
Level 1

A new Financial Bank has just introduced itself. Its plan is that, in a year they are going to open 12 new local offices.

The request is: what will the ideal Cisco Equipment will be to be implemented in the Main office.

Its planned that in the main office are going to be around 40-60 users.

Need: VPN, VoIP, PoE on LAN.

A simple help will be appreciated.

Thank You.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm going to start with the LAN. PoE is good when the client wants to roll out Voice over IP (VoIP). There are many well-documented (financial and security) reasons why VoIP is the way to go. PoE/enhanced PoE (ePoE) may also address if the client wants to involve Wireless LAN. Before your client turns blue with this idea, understand that there can be two reasons why Wireless LAN is necessary in today's world: To PROVIDE WLAN services and to DENY WLAN services. Cisco also has a range of Voice over WLAN (VoWLAN) phone units, the 7921/7925 series.

For a Main Office LAN solution, go with a Layer 3 model as compared to a Layer 2: 3560-E, 3750-E, or 6500-E series would be ample for a wiring closet switch.

Next, the WAN links.

Due to possible future proofing, a 3845, 7206VXR are candidates. I've seen alot of Automated Teller Machines use 850/870 routers but the proliferation of 3G networks, 880 seems like viable candidates too.

To provide security, ASA 5510 or 5520.

For Voice over IP, you can never go wrong with the Cisco Unified Call Manager (7.0.2) suite of products.

Do understand that Cisco currently has some special promos to assist the US economy. So it would be worthwhile to talk to an authorized Cisco reseller/agent.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm going to start with the LAN. PoE is good when the client wants to roll out Voice over IP (VoIP). There are many well-documented (financial and security) reasons why VoIP is the way to go. PoE/enhanced PoE (ePoE) may also address if the client wants to involve Wireless LAN. Before your client turns blue with this idea, understand that there can be two reasons why Wireless LAN is necessary in today's world: To PROVIDE WLAN services and to DENY WLAN services. Cisco also has a range of Voice over WLAN (VoWLAN) phone units, the 7921/7925 series.

For a Main Office LAN solution, go with a Layer 3 model as compared to a Layer 2: 3560-E, 3750-E, or 6500-E series would be ample for a wiring closet switch.

Next, the WAN links.

Due to possible future proofing, a 3845, 7206VXR are candidates. I've seen alot of Automated Teller Machines use 850/870 routers but the proliferation of 3G networks, 880 seems like viable candidates too.

To provide security, ASA 5510 or 5520.

For Voice over IP, you can never go wrong with the Cisco Unified Call Manager (7.0.2) suite of products.

Do understand that Cisco currently has some special promos to assist the US economy. So it would be worthwhile to talk to an authorized Cisco reseller/agent.

Hope this helps.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the rating.

If you are interested with the WLAN aspect, let me know.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card