cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Cisco enterprise products, could use some advise regarding the Cisco router 1941.

KanadaGuy
Level 1
Level 1

I have questions as this my first enterprise level cisco router 1941.  I purchased it orginally due to the intigrated security features such as the ability to span ports and run a sniffer as well as some of the other features.  However I realized after buying it that some security features require you to buy a additional security upgrade.  I intend to buy this however at the moment I don't have the extra cash and am relaunching my buisiness shortly.  My questions are as follows;

1)  Can I setup the box and then add the security upgrade later or does it need to be applied when I deploy it orginally?

2)  If I don't purchase the security upgrade does it have any firewall functionality and what features come with it straight out of the box I can't seem to find that information anywhere..? 

3)  Does it have NAT it will be used as a router on my wan side so I want to make sure it doesn't respond to pings or have open ports when I hook it up or do I have to set that up manually and if so is there a resource that explains how to do this easyily and quickly just so I can deploy it and get my networkup up and running?

Thanks for your time and I hope to get some kind of answers to my questions and I am sorry for asking such noob questions.....

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1)  Can I setup the box and then add the security upgrade later or does it need to be applied when I deploy it orginally?

You can always get the router and than purchase and add security features you want. It is all software.  So you can load a different image that has all the security as long as you have valid service contract.

2)  If I don't purchase the security upgrade does it have any firewall functionality and what features come with it straight out of the box I can't seem to find that information anywhere..? 

Usually out of the box the router comes with basic security feature i.e access-list, NAT, etc..

If you need more advanced security features i.e IPSEC/VPN, SSH, you just need to load the image that has the features.

3)  Does it have NAT it will be used as a router on my wan side so I want to make sure it doesn't respond to pings or have open ports when I hook it up or do I have to set that up manually and if so is there a resource that explains how to do this easyily and quickly just so I can deploy it and get my networkup up and running?

Aceess-list and NAT usually comes with most images.

HTH

Thanks for your prompt response!

Ok I think I have the k9 version which should include the firewall and nat as you mentioned.

I have another issue I bought a 4 port hewic card for this device and I am not sure how to route the traffic from the wan port I setup as ge0/1.  The 4 ports do not connect to the wan connection...

Could you please shed some light on that?

What is the part number for the card?

Hello again thanks for the prompt response.. I am not sure about the part number but this was the name of it.. Cisco EHWIC-4ESG= Gigabit EHWIC Switch - 4 ports - managed

Is this what you where looking for?

Hi,

You can very well ports from 4ESG as WAN ports but there is a small trick to use it with SVI. If you are still struggling with your configuration let know, would ask someone from my team to set it up for you through a Webex session. 

Just post a Cisco Technical Support Request here and would get it done.

HTH.

Regards,
Pawan Sharma
https://itgears.io

Hey thanks again for the response and I might just do that it would be helpful...

I have a few other questions if you don't mind answering please.

First I have 2 avail wan side ip's.  My setup currently consists of the modem to a switch that then goes to two routers one for home one for work to keep them seperated.  What I would like to do if this router is capable of is... Have the modem goto two wan side ports on the router (it has two wan side ports correct?  I can get two wan side ip's correct?) and add another switch card and use one switch card for home and the other work.  If the router has 2 wan ports and has two different mac's for 2 different wan ip's is there a way I can quickly and easyily spoof the mac so I can force my isp to change my ip as I tend to change my ip's on a regular basis with this method...?

Thanks again.

Also what cert explains how to set the router via cli?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card