cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Cisco

compserv
Level 1
Level 1

I am in charge of a new installation of 25 laptops with wireless a/g connectivity. The installation will also include video conferencing capability. The equipment list in addition to the laptops, includes a 506e firewall, an 806 router, a 2950 switch, 2 a/b/g access points and a Viewstation FX. I would appreciate any guidance as to the suitability of this equipment for the intended use.

Thanks in advance!!

ltlong

3 Replies 3

Hello,

the equipment mix you have sounds sufficient for your purpose. Basically, your 806 would connect to your provider on the outside and to your PIX on the inside. The Pix would connect to the 2950, as well as the access points and the Viewstation.

How far are you in configuring your equipment ?

Regards,

GP

The equipment hasn't actually been purchased yet. I wanted to make sure it was suitable for the intended use before jumping into purchasing. Will I actually need the 2950 switch because of the wireless notebooks or could I take it off the list. I see that the 806 has actually been discontinued. can it be replaced with a 831 with a built in switch?

Thanks again!!

ltlong

Hello,

if you have not actually purchased the equipment, that indeed changes the picture. In that case, the 831 would suffice. You could just connect the access points and the Viewstation to the built-in switchports. You also do not really need the PIX, which costs a lot of money, at least not if your network only consists of the wireless notebooks. You could get the 831 with the IP/FW/IPSec 3DES PLUS

feature pack, which provides sufficient security.

Regards,

GP

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card