Views
Helpful
Replies

Newb - configure 2900xl - help is paid for with cookies

peter.kasson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Group,

Recently obtained a 2924XL and went through the reset and initial configuration successfully.

I am new to configuring switches, but did get an ip assigned to the vlan 1 interface.

Q1:  Can you use a normal CAT 5 cable or is there a cross-over or other to connect from home linksys switch to this ?

Q2:  I try to "no shut" any of the ether interfaces, and it quickly goes from up to down

Q3:  Dont know if I should upgrade (currently IOS 12), but the flash shows < 500k free, and I cant see where anything else is to delete to prep for upgrade.

Thanks for any assistance !

Peter

3 Replies 3

IAN WHITMORE
Level 4
Level 4

Q1:  Can you use a normal CAT 5 cable or is there a cross-over or other to connect from home linksys switch to this ?

I would use a cross-over cable personally. I don't know what model of linksys you have, some are auto cross-over, but to be sure use a cross over cable.

Q2:  I try to "no shut" any of the ether interfaces, and it quickly goes from up to down

If you don't have anything connected ot the interfaces of course they will be down. It will be "admin" up but "line protocol" down. It's normal.

Q3:  Dont know if I should upgrade (currently IOS 12), but the flash shows < 500k free, and I cant see where anything else is to delete to prep for upgrade.

No, you would need to delete the actual ios (.bin file) and then upload the new one. Of course you must not restart the switch in between because then you would have to upload a new ios from rommon via xmodem...and that takes a while. The latest version is 12.2, you might want to update it.

There are guides on Cisco to do all of this. Just search on Cisco or google.

HTH,

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the very quick reply !

Rebuttal -

Q1: A cross over is not the standard CAT 5, right ? So that is what would plug in from the home router to this 2924XL, but then anything else plugged into other ports would be normal CAT5 ?

Q1a: Is there a certain port to put this cross over in, or would any of them work ?

Q2: I have a non cross-over CAT 5 in faste0/4 ... but the light is not on, so either based on Q1 cabling, it may be working, just wrong cable type ?

Q3: Understood ... so I can upload the newest version and then reboot and if not, hosed ? If this thing has 8MB space, where is remaining 7.5MB? All I can see is the flash: directory.

Thanks again.

Peter

Q1:  A cross over is not the standard CAT 5, right ?   So that is what would plug in from the home router to this 2924XL, but then anything else plugged into other ports would be normal CAT5 ?

Right, a cross-over is not standard cat5. standard cat 5 cables follow this order (at both ends of the cable):

Pin     Colour

1     white-orange

2     orange

3     white-blue

4     green

5     white-green

6     blue    

7     white-brown

8     brown

A cross-over has one end of the cable as above and the other end is like this:

Pin     Colour

1     white-blue

2     blue

3     white-orange

4     green

5     white-green

6     orange

7     white-brown

8     brown

i.e. at one end of the cable you swap ping 1 & 3, and 2 & 6.

Q1a:  Is there a certain port to put this cross over in, or would any of them work ?

Any of them should work. Bear in mind on some switches there is a cross-over port that you can plug a normal cable into and it will cross-over for you. On some older switches there was even a button you could press so that it made the port "cross-over" so to speak. But under normal conditions you can plug into any port.

Q2:  I have a non cross-over CAT 5 in faste0/4 ... but the light is not on, so either based on Q1 cabling, it may be working, just wrong cable type ?

Right. If you see the port as up down, that will be the case.

Q3:  Understood ... so I can upload the newest version and then reboot and if not, hosed ?   If this thing has 8MB space, where is remaining 7.5MB?   All I can see is the flash: directory.

Can you post a #sh flash

and a #sh run

In some switches there is a boot system command to tell it which IOS is should look for in flash. If it doesn't find the right IOS it should just try to load the IOS in flash, but it's best to make sure you change it (if it's there) when you change the IOS. There must be some directories or something in the flash occupying the space (with the .bin in it) otherwise you would have more free space.

HTH,

Ian

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card