cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v, VMware ESXi 5.5 and port speed/duplex issues

mcneilj
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a problem with speed/duplex settings with the Nexus 1000v.  I recently upgraded the VSM and VEMs to version 4.2(1)SV2(2.1a) with the VMware hosts on ESXi 5.1.  We're now trying to bring an ESXi 5.5 host into the Nexus 1000v and when migrating a NIC I get the following error messages:

2013 Nov 12 13:03:45 sw-ohco01-n1v-1 %ETHPORT-5-SPEED: Interface Ethernet3/2, operational speed changed to auto 10 or 100 Mbps

2013 Nov 12 13:03:45 sw-ohco01-n1v-1 %ETHPORT-5-IF_DUPLEX: Interface Ethernet3/2, operational duplex mode changed to Half

with this showing on a show interface status:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port           Name               Status   Vlan      Duplex  Speed   Type

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eth3/2         --                 up       trunk     half    a-10-10 --        

However the ports on the upsteam switch are 10Gb full duplex and these ports work fine when used with the standard VMware vSwitch.  I tried setting the speed and duplex in the port profile but get these error messages:

sw-ohco01-n1v-1(config-port-prof)# speed 10000
ERROR: Ethernet3/2: Configuration does not match the port capability.

sw-ohco01-n1v-1(config-port-prof)# duplex full
ERROR: Ethernet3/2: Incompatible Speed and Duplex settings on interface

The other ESXi 5.1 hosts are working fine showing that they are 10Gb full duplex but this 5.5 host is not showing the appropriate speed and duplex and does not appear to be passing traffic.  I have verified that the VEM is the same version as the VSM as well:

Mod  Sw                  Hw     

---  ------------------  ------------------------------------------------ 

1    4.2(1)SV2(2.1a)     0.0                                             

2    4.2(1)SV2(2.1a)     0.0                                             

3    4.2(1)SV2(2.1a)     VMware ESXi 5.5.0 Releasebuild-1331820 (3.2)    

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

Joe LeBlanc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Can you paste the configuration of your uplink port-profile that is being applied to the interfaces?

The uplink port-profile configuration should not have any speed or duplex configuration in it, as this is taken care of by ESXi. If there is any speed or duplex configuration, we will see an issue.

Thanks,

Joe

Any luck on this???

I have a similar problem...

I  upgraded the VSM & VEM to version 4.2(1)SV2(2.2) solving connectivity issues upgrading to version ESXi 5.5 (resolved caveat CSCuj81943)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card