Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 2000 interaction with Parent 5000 - Distance parameter

balachandhars85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am designing a network for my client where I have to implement a 10 Gig end to end connectivity. The major factor of concern from my management is about scalability (space to include more 10Gig servers as the nodes grow up). I have suggested Cisco 5596UP with 2232 PP as this gives ample amount of 10Gig ports. The setup has to be implemented across 2 different datacenters located 40 Kms apart, connected with 10Gig DC Interconnect.

I understand that Cisco Nexus 2232 is a Layer 2 Only switch and would need to communicate with parent 5K switch very frequently. Is it necessary to have the 2K and 5K pair in the same datacenter or in proximity? Is it possible to have the SFP uplinks connected to the DC interconnect? Because we have two datacenters located 40 Kms apart and having 1*Layer 3 - 5K switch at DC A with Layer 2 - 2K nexus Switch at DC B will be cost effective. We do require more 10Gig ports and not much requirement on Layer 3 usage. Can somone let me know the type of communication that would be much frequent between 2K and 5K? Also advise any corrections to th design if needed.

Thanks,

Bala.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nickbonifacio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bala,

This sounds like a great candidate for OTV.  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/white_paper_c11-644634.html

Are you using Nexus 7000s as well or only 5000s?

Thanks!

Nick

Nick Bonifacio CCIE #38473

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nickbonifacio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bala,

This sounds like a great candidate for OTV.  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/white_paper_c11-644634.html

Are you using Nexus 7000s as well or only 5000s?

Thanks!

Nick

Nick Bonifacio CCIE #38473

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update. We donot have plans to go for Nexus 7k.

Thanks

Bala

Hello Bala

In your design you can use standalone n5k switch in each datacenter, interconnect them with dark fiber or even ISP infrastructure. That depend from your solution and desired result.

But the best would be to have 2 n5k in each datacenter - since in such design you will have redundant topologies in each datacenter.

Also you will be able to connect each FEX to both n5k located in the same DC - and in case of failure of one n5k FEX will stay online.

Also FEX (Nexus 2000) is NOT Layer 2 switch - it doesn't perform local packet switching. This means that every single packet sent between servers connected to 2 ports on the same FEX will be forwarded to N5K - so having a big distance between FEX and n5k master switch will add undesired latency to the traffic.

Also if you plan to implement FCoE in the future - it introduces a limit to patch-cord distance between FEX and N5K - 300m

HTH,

Alex

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card