Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3000 SPAN RSPAN ERSPAN

Nils 86
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i want to monitor (SPAN) some ports on our nexus31108PCV to another nexus switch. 
On most catalyst switches i can use RSPAN to monitor the traffic into an remote span vlan.
the nexus doesn´t support RSPAN but i can use ERSPAN but only as the source?! 

switch1(config)# monitor session 10 type ?
erspan-source            Create an erspan source session
local                            Create a local session

is there another feature that i can use for monitoring or will the rspan feature come to the nexus 3000?

thanks for your replays, sorry for my englisch :)

Nils

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nils,

Looking into a couple of TAC cases i can see that this feature is not available on Nexus 3K yet, however there is no bug id to clearly document the same as the guides show that this can be configured. I would suggest checking with TAC if you need more details and also the possibility of this getting fixed in any upcoming versions.

Manish

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nils,

The Cisco NX-OS system supports the Encapsulated Remote Switching Port Analyser (ERSPAN) feature on both source and destination ports. ERSPAN transports mirrored traffic over an IP network. The traffic is encapsulated at the source router and is transferred across the network. The packet is decapsulated at the destination router and then sent to the destination interface.

ERSPAN consists of an ERSPAN source session, routable ERSPAN generic routing encapsulation (GRE)-encapsulated traffic, and an ERSPAN destination session.

You can find the config details here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus3000/sw/system_mgmt/503_U3_1/b_Cisco_n3k_System_Mgmt_Config_503_U3_1/b_Cisco_n3k_System_Mgmt_Config_503_U3_1_chapter_010010.html#concept_28F4E5900E204EABB9753FB23A840A1F

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

hi Manisch,

my problem is that i cannot configure the command

"monitor session 2 type erspan-Destination"

i can only choose erspan-source?!

is there a Feature that must be enabled or somthing alse?

my Software Version is NXOS: version 7.0(3)I5(2)

Nils

Hi Nils,

It will work in one of the 7.0(3)I4(x) releases, you can upgrade and test it.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

hi Manisch,

another switch is running with 7.0(3)I4(6), but it is the same scenario.

there is only the command with source:

C3100S20_201(config)# monitor session 10 type ?
erspan-source     Create an erspan source session
local                    Create a local session

C3100S20_201(config)# monitor session 10 type

Nils

Hi Nils,

Looking into a couple of TAC cases i can see that this feature is not available on Nexus 3K yet, however there is no bug id to clearly document the same as the guides show that this can be configured. I would suggest checking with TAC if you need more details and also the possibility of this getting fixed in any upcoming versions.

Manish

hi Manish,

thank you for your efforts! we will open a case, when there is a response i will post it.

thanks Nils

I have the same problem and I see the last post here was 6 months ago. Can you tell me if it has been fixed yet?

@Nils 86 wrote:

hi Manish,

thank you for your efforts! we will open a case, when there is a response i will post it.

thanks Nils

I got Nexus 3K with the software version

NXOS: version 7.0(3)I7(5a)

Will this be supporting RSPAN?

Thanks all in advance

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card