Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3172 reboot caused errors on vCenter Server

kevirami
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, 

My network team updated layer 2 security configs on a  Nexus Switch 3172(not stacked) and some of the configs (ip verify source, dhcp snooping, ip arp inspection, block unicast) knocked off connectivity to some VMhosts on VCenter. VCenter is connected directly to the Nexus Switch. After the taking off the configs that were applied, network connectivity was still down so the switch was reboot with the "reload" command.  The original configs are on the Nexus Switch again but network connectivity from the VMhosts are not able to reach the gateway.

VPC is not running on the Nexus Switch.
VCenter server directly connects to the Nexus Switch. The vlan and portchannel configurations are validated and port-bundled. There are no err-disabled ports.
Pinging on the Nexus Switch to all VMhosts are working but the vCSA(vCenter Server Appliance) VM does not establish connectivity to its GUI to manage the other VMhosts.

All I'm really looking for is information. Does rebooting a Nexus Switch 3172 affect connectivity on the vSwitches in ESXi ? Does the portchannel on the VMware side get shutdown? 

Anything helps! Thanks!

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
All I'm really looking for is information. Does rebooting a Nexus Switch 3172 affect connectivity on the vSwitches in ESXi ? 

YES and NO - until we see some configuration of nexus and Logs - interface up.

I am sure you doing port-channel towards esxi, how is your vSwitch or dSwitch configured ?

This where all VM will be communicating with External using port-channel to nexus.

Does the portchannel on the VMware side get shutdown? 

when nexus reboot, i am sure esxi side go down, but if they configured as expected that come back as expected.

we are not sure how your topology and what logs you see on nexus ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card