Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5000 DCI - FabricPath

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know if I can configure FabricPath between two remote sites (DCI) with Nexus 5000.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

Theoretically there is no limitation for fabricpath you required the L2 link (darkfiber) b/w 2 DCI and support jumbo frame. Due to required darkfiber to run fabricpath b/w to remote site it becomes costly solution.

It’s better to used OTV on Nexus 7000 Series or ASR  Routers or took L2 MPLS via ISP.

Thanks & Best regards;

Hello,

Can I use fabricpath between devices in the darkfiber and spanning tree to the other devices that are not cisco?

thanks.

Hi;

The Fabricpath is Cisco proprietary, so it will not work with other vendor switches.

Thanks & Best regards;

Hello,

Please let me rephrase my question, Can I have fabricpath for the DCI (darkfiber)connections and spanning tree, to the other part of the network that in Cisco devices but is not in DCI connections?

Thanks.!

Yes of course. So that one is dedicated for carrying fabric path and the other link is for typical STP should be OK - but i don't understand why you'd want this anyway.

To stop trumboning affect with packets going back and forth to get to the active gateway you can:

• Use fabric path as a DCI, and use anycast HSRP to provide your redundant gateways.
  • Use OTV and make your links layer3 routed connections, with a VACL to drop FHRP frames.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hello Bilal,

The reason of my question is that the devices that will be connected to my Nexus devices are not Cisco, thats why I looking to know how to configure in the DCI fabricpath and STP at the same time. The devices I will use 51628.

Where can I get how I can config this?

Thanks.

Hi;

The Fabricpath is Cisco proprietary, so it will not work with other vendor switches.

If in your network you have 2 x Nexus 56128 and remaining non cisco devices then instead of fabricpath you can use vPC.

Create vPC domain b/w both Nexus 56128 & make STP root. From Nexus 56128 to non Cisco switches you can create LACP etherchannel which will provide you bundle the interface with redundancy.

If you need any further information, please share the topology or block diagram which you want to implement. So it will provide better understanding.

Thanks & Best regards;

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card