Nexus 5000 FC_FEATURES_PKG

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Is it possible to transfer licenses such as

FC_FEATURES_PKG ,

ENTERPRISE_PKG etc

from one switch to another ? We have a switch which does not need fiber channel connectivity, but wrongly installed this license.. The following doc says that we need to get in touch with customer support executive:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/Licensing.html#wp1479501

but wanted to get opinion from netpro experts first, since i get faster responses here..

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Richard Michael
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sachin,

Generally, Licenses are transferable only in case of RMA.If the license have to be applied on a new switch you have to buy/get a new license.

As an alternative you can try the following, I havent given a try but i would say it's worth trying it

(Below quotes taken from the License Manager 3.0 Datasheet)

"You may want to move premium licensed features from one device to another for reasons such as a change in network topology. Once you select the source and destination devices, Cisco License Manager simplifies this procedure by securely obtaining re-host permission from Cisco.com, revoking the license from the source device, and obtaining and installing the transferred license to the destination device as well as installing a temporary license for the feature being transferred to give you enough time to migrate all connections or traffic to the destination device (Figure 5)"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps5734/ps7138/datasheet_c78-563150.html

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,

Ricky Micky

*Rate Useful Posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card