Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 5000 version 5.1(3)N2(1) message

vincenzo.milasi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have done an upgrade to the NXOS version 5.1(3)N2(1) on a nexus 5000 and have the following message every 5-6 minutes:

%AUTHPRIV-5-SYSTEM_MSG:    

root : TTY=console ; PWD=/var/sysmgr/sysmgr-subproc ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/sysctl -q -w vm.drop_caches=3 - sudo

The system try to clear the cache to free memory :

http://skimeer.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/linux/

I would like to know if it is a normal behavior or is there something to check .

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vincenzo

Please run following commands to check tme memory status:

- show system resources
- show proc mem
- show system internal kernel meminfo

Regards,

Alex

Hi guys,we use since yesterday the Image version

5.2(1)N1(4) on our Nexus 5020 and we get the same message each 3 minutes.

%AUTHPRIV-5-SYSTEM_MSG: ROOT : TTY=CONSOLE ; PWD=/VAR/SYSMGR/SYSMGR-SUBPROC ; USER=ROOT ; COMMAND=/SBIN/SYSCTL -Q

-W VM.DROP_CACHES=3 - SUDO

The Switch is running fine,but is this a cosmetic issue or a critical one?

Any ideas to stop this?

Thanks in advanced

rgds

Jochen

I have the same issue. Software is 5.2(1)N1(1b). The output of the three listed commands shows nothing oddities to me. Any ideas?

Regards

Thomas

Hi,

same issue on N5596UP Version 6.0.2.N2.1 seen!

"2013 Nov  5 10:28:13 N5596-UV9 %AUTHPRIV-5-SYSTEM_MSG:     root : TTY=console ;

PWD=/var/sysmgr/sysmgr-subproc ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/sysctl -q -w vm.drop_

caches=3 - sudo"

Regards

Bernhard

YAMADA Akinori
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi vincenzo and all,

This is normal operation of N5K system.

The system clear RAM cache every 3 minutes, and output this message if you configure logging level of authpriv 5 or higher.

This logging implementation is integrated at 5.1N train.

The default of logging level of authpriv is 3 (error).

Please change logging level of authpriv to the default.

Regards,

Akinori

I am also seeing this message because we are required by our org to show successful logins (authpriv 6). The problem is that this log ends up filling up the local log so we can't see relevant messages. Is there either 1, a different way to show successful logins that won't fill the log with unnecessary entries (I've already tried aaa level 6 which ends up showing a ton of accounting logs) or 2, a way to suppress or lower the priority of the RAM cache log?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card