Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5500 - FEX dual-homed - HSRP

Christian Jorge
Level 1
Level 1

Gentlemen

I'm facing some doubts regarding a project I'm responsible.

We have 4 nexus 5596UP and 4 FEX. Each pair of Nexus are located in different datacenter. Each pair of Nexus in the same datacenter is connected to 2 FEX in a dual-homed way. Each Nexus in Datacenter1 is connected to a single Nexus in datacenter2.

All 4 Nexus have layer3 module and should run layer3 (interface VLAN/HSRP). Probably no licenses to fabricpath (enhanced license)

Questions:

- What's the best way to configure interdatacenters connection?...VPC or FabricPath?

- How can I configure layer 3 FHRP (HSRP/GLBP) as we have 4 Nexus?

Regards

Christian

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

VPC between each set of 5ks, but if you need inter data center connectivity, then you need FabricPath

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/guide_c07-690079.html

HTH

Ok

Probably connection between datacenters will be done using VPCs (not FabricPath) due to the basic license acquired.

But I'm wondering: having 4 Nexus and Nexus working also as layer 3, what's the correct way to arrange the HSRP using only one VIP?

I was reading about "Anycast HSRP" but it seems only supported with Fabricpath.

Regards

Christian

Anyone has any idea or experience regarding HSRP in 4 Nexus?

Christian

You can refer to this guide from page 83 to page 85.

But it's for nexus 7000,I am wondering if it's true for nexus 5672,too.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

Christian Jorge
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone has any idea or experience with HSRP in 4 nexus?

Christian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card