Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5500 LACP member operationally Individual

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Hi there,

We are getting mad with the configuration of VPCs between a pair of N5k and one single Radware Alteon 4408.

We have created an etherchannel with two ports in Alteon, one link against each Nexus. After configuring interface only in node  #1 with mode ACTIVE, the port start flapping and it become Operationally Individual:

interface Ethernet2/3

switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 185,897
  spanning-tree port type edge trunk
  spanning-tree bpduguard enable
  speed 1000
  storm-control broadcast level 1.00
  channel-group 31 mode active

As I have tested, when configuring the port-channel with option 'lacp suspend-individual', obviouslly the port goes into state suspend, but it's receiving LACP PDUs.

Maybe is about LACP single link not allowed in Nexus? I know Enterasys Nx have an option to allow LACP single link, but I don't know if this have to be configured on Nexus platform as well as Alteon and it has to be enabled for LACP with only one link to work.

Counter shows the Alteon is well configured:

ROISBPRO1CN(config-if)# sh lacp counters interface po31
                    LACPDUs         Marker      Marker Response    LACPDUs
Port              Sent   Recv     Sent   Recv     Sent   Recv      Pkts Err
---------------------------------------------------------------------
port-channel31
Ethernet2/3        51     4        0      0        0      0        0

But the port is in individual mode:

ROISBPRO1CN(config-if)# sh port-c sum

Flags:  D - Down        P - Up in port-channel (members)

I - Individual  H - Hot-standby (LACP only)

s - Suspended   r - Module-removed

S - Switched    R - Routed

U - Up (port-channel)

M - Not in use. Min-links not met

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group Port-       Type     Protocol  Member Ports

Channel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

31    Po31(SD)    Eth      LACP      Eth2/3(I)

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

Jesus

3 Replies 3

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Maybe is about LACP single link not allowed in Nexus? I know Enterasys Nx have an option to allow LACP single link, but I don't know if this have to be configured on Nexus platform as well as Alteon and it has to be enabled for LACP with only one link to work.

The Nexus 5000 can be configured with the lacp min-links command under the port-channel interface, although the Port-channel Minimum Links feature was only enabled recently in NX-OS 6.0(2)N1(2). The default minimum is 1 so this shouldn't be the issue.

You say you have a link from the Alteon to both Nexus 5K. Are you seeing the same behaviour on the other Nexus 5K switch or only this one?

I presume vPC is setup and working correctly on the Nexus 5K switch pair? Can you paste the output of show vpc and show interface port-channel 31 from from both Nexus 5K?

Also do you have any other devices connected via port-channel to the pair of Nexus switches, and if so are these working correctly?

Regards

Thanks for the answer,

No, still no second link up, this behavior is in the ONLY link from Alteon.

No, we haven't VPC still configured in this connection as we have found this "problem" in this step. Otherway, we have a few VPCs and non-VPC etherchannels working as presume.

No, this issue is a first time appear in the topology, as previous load balancers didn't allow etherchannel.

Regards

Any solution find for this issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: