Announcements
Popup Hotspot Using ISR 1000 with WiFi/LTE for Teleworkers and Micro Branchesr
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Collaborator

Nexus 5548 and vfc Interfaces - WHY?

What is a vfc and why do we need to configure it? I find this extremely tedious.

I have a Dell blade CNA connected to a Dell M8024-k FCoE transit module, which is then connected to a Cisco Nexus 5K. The Cisco 5K's FC port is in NPIV mode and is connected to a Brocade 300 switch. An FC target is connected to the B300.

So, in configuring this set up, I see that, in the Cisco 5K, one has to map the CNA's Ethernet MAC-address to a vfc!

Why do I have to do this mapping? You dont have to do this with Brocade. For example, in another lab setup, I have a Dell M8428-k FCF (FCoE) switch, which is a Brocade ODM, and there is no such mapping necessary. You bring up a CNA at will, the CNA executees a FIP FLOGI, gets an FPMA from the FC fabric switch, and a construct is seamlessly built between that CNA (or perhaps more correctly stated, the N-Port component of that CNA) and a LUN. NO MANUAL MAPPING is necessary.

Can someone explain this Cisco vfc construct and why one has to engage in this laborious task of mapping every CNA to a vfc? Just trying to understand....perhaps I am missing something.

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Collaborator

Nexus 5548 and vfc Interfaces - WHY?

Cmon. Nobody from Cisco has any input on this???

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad