Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548 as a core replacement

s-pirrello
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm considering in replacing a single 6513 chassis that currently is playing the role of the core router switch - all layer 2 and 3 routing happens on this node.  This site is not a high bandwidth data center, it is a branch office and we've outgrown this device in terms of port density so I'm determined to demote this switch as only an access layer device for the user community.  I will move all servers and telecom gear to ToR switches so my question is has anyone used the a pair of 5548 switches with the Layer 3 daughter cards as a replacement for a 6513?  It has a decent amount of Layer 3 throughput so I would imagine this would be feasible.

FYI, this site does not justify the purchase of a Nexus 7K so please keep this in mind when posting feedback.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I don't have experience with Nexus switches, but from what you describe, a pair of 5548s would likely work just fine and be feasible.  However, also from what you've described, you might have more cost effective options than a pair of 5548s that might be feasible too.  For instance, if you're willing to have ToR switches, why cannot additional edge switches be used to expand your 6513 ports?  Or, perhaps another semi-distribution switch next to your 6513 like a 4500 or 3750 stack?

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

I'd keep in mind that Layer 3 functionality is a "somewhat" recent addition to the N5K platform. I would be tempted to look at a 45xx myself for the Layer 3 piece.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card