cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548 TACACS+ config question?

BryanPMiller
Level 1
Level 1

I am working for an Air Force client and am adding a handful of 5548s into their network.  My question is how Tacacs+ is configured.  My hands are tied in regards to testing in an operational environment so I want to ensure the configs are correct prior to deployment/maintenance window and avoid any remote issues.

I have read the "Cisco Press - TACACS+" config guide and it was somewhat vague in regards to operational deployment.

My basic NX-OS configs are as follows:

- feature tacacs+
- tacacs-server key 7 "002A52xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx8"
- tacacs-server host 128.xx.xx.xx timeout 10
- tacacs-server host 128.xx.xx.xx timeout 10
- tacacs-server directed-request

When I try to set the following command string, aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ local, the NX-OS asks me the input a "server group name".  There are no server groups configured.  Do I need them? Can I get by without configuring a group name because the client probably will not. The Cisco IOS devices are configured with normal aaa authentication/authorization parameters.

Also, do the VTY ports default to sshv2 and the correct tacacs+ parameters with the "transport input ssh" command (not available)?

Any help would be greatly aprreciated.

Bryan

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

there should be a "built in" group for tacacs and radius.

Configuring Default Login Authentication Methods

The authentication methods include the following:

• Global pool of RADIUS servers

• Named subset of RADIUS or TACACS+ servers

• Local database on the Nexus 5000 Series switch

• Username only

The default method is local.

Before you configure default login authentication methods,  configure RADIUS or TACACS+ server groups as needed. To configure  default login authentication methods, perform this task:

SUMMARY STEPS

1.          switch# configure terminal

2.          switch(config)# aaa authentication login default {group                                                                  group-list [none] | local | none}

3.          switch(config)# exit

4.          (Optional)                                    switch# show aaa authentication

5.          (Optional)                                    switch# copy running-config startup-config

DETAILED STEPS

Command or ActionPurpose
Step 1switch# configure terminal                                                                                     

Enters configuration mode.

Step 2switch(config)# aaa authentication login default {group                                                                  group-list [none] | local | none}                            

Configures the default authentication methods.

The                                                                            group-list                                                                   argument consists of a space-delimited list of group names. The group names are the following:

• radius                         —Uses the global pool of RADIUS servers for authentication.

• named-group                                                                                    —Uses a named subset of TACACS+ or RADIUS servers for authentication.

The                       local                    method uses the local database for authentication. The                       none                    method uses the username only.

The default login method is                       local                   , which is used when no methods are configured or when all of the configured methods do not respond.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Build a aaa group and aaa commands like as follows:

feature tacacs+

tacacs-server key 7 "002A52xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx8

aaa group server tacacs+ AAA-Servers

server [1st server IP]

server [optional - 2nd server IP]

source-interface [svi consistent with your device deifntion in tacacs server]

aaa authentication login default group AAA-Servers local

aaa authorization config-commands default group AAA-Servers none

aaa authorization commands default group AAA-Servers none

aaa accounting default group AAA-Servers

tacacs-server directed-request

That should get you good to go.

For more details, please refer here.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also, your second question is answered here as follows:

Cisco NX-OS Software defaults to SSHv2 with a 1024 bit RSA key.  The SSH key can be modified to a DSA/RSA key up to 2048 bits to increase security.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card