Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548 to 6509 not vss

bmath
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I am currently trying to upgrade our network DC which using 3750 stack to Nexus series.Right now we have 2 6509 running VTP dom 1 and HSRP and the server farm 3750*7  run vtp dom 2 and HSRP we interconnect using portchannel and run ospf for routing between them.

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE NEXUS USES vpc AND I CANNOT RUN OSPF ON IT SO HOW DO I CONFIGURE THE 6509 PORTS TO TALK TO NEXUS A SIMPLE PORT CHANNEL IS GOOD AND HOW THE ROUTING BETWEEN THE 6509 VTP AND THE NEXUS WILL WORK?

thanks

BM

1 Reply 1

Evenin'

Not sure I totally understood your explaination of your network, but I think you were saying you were replacing your 3750 with N5K, which will link to a 6500 core? (if I am incorrect, please feel free to clarify).

The Nexus5548 is a layer two switch, in other words it has no capacity for routing.  Although this will change with the L3 daughter card for the 55XX being released next year, at this moment in time the switch is purely layer 2, in other words you can't run HSRP or OSPF on an N5K.  You would need to move your HSRP up to the 6500, and make that your hosts default gateway.

You can then connect your 5548 via an L2 link to your 6509, standalone, portchannel or vPC (providing you have a second 5548).

You can of course have VLAN interfaces to access the N5K management purposes, but from a traffic forwarding perspective (as it is a L2 switch rather than an L3 switch) your 6500 would talk "through" it rather than "to" it.

Hope this clarifies.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card