cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548UP NX-OS - SNMP Walk doesn't work for 4 minutes then works for 1 minute, then repeats

Giovanni Ceci
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

We're setting up our monitoring system and on-boarding their network equipment. We're using SNMP v2. Our monitoring system will use SNMP Walk to gather all the information about the device. All the devices that we've on-boarded successfully and working except our Cisco Nexus 5548UP data centre switches (core switches). 

The first thing we noticed is that the issue was intermittent. But after doing some deeper analysis, we found that we can consistently pinpoint exactly when it's going to work and when it's not, almost down to the second.

This is the pattern I've seen: 15 seconds before the 5 minute mark, the SNMP will work for 1 minute. After that, it will stop working for around 4 minutes, then will work again for 1 minute, then stop working again for 4 minutes, then repeat and repeat.

Here's the details with timestamps of the pattern:

04:04:00 - SNMP Walk is not working

04:04:45 - SNMP Walk is successful

04:05:45 - SNMP Walk stops working

04:09:45 - SNMP Walk is successful

04:10:45 - SNMP Walk stops working

04:14:45 - SNMP Walk is successful

04:15:45 - SNMP Walk stops working

and so on....

I've already ensured that the SNMP host server configured using the VRF Default. 

The version of NX-OS we're running is 5.2(1)N1(4)

I am thinking this is a bug because I've read so much about issues with SNMP and NX-OS. However I haven't been able to find one that matches this behaviour.  Just wondering if anyone has come across this before and can offer some input. I will be opening a TAC case. 

Thanks,

John

1 Reply 1

dukenuk96
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

looks like CoPP prevents you to make so frequent SNMP request. You can try two things:

1. Configure bulk requests on your manageament software, since 'walk' is intensive operation
2. Change default CoPP on your Nexus to allow more SNMP requests (would not recommend, because you can overload your device's CPU)

5.2(1)N1(4) is ancient, schedule upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card