Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548UP - "Physical Address changes" messages in SolarWinds

sasaadamovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would appreciate help with possible issue.

We have recently upgraded oor LAN and we are using couple of Nexus5548UP switches in the core with 2960 stacks as access switches. Each access switches stack is connnected to both core switches with link being port-chanels and VPCs. All is working fine, but our SolarWinds management platform (NPM) is being flooded with "Physical Address changed" events. Here is an example of messages:

NSW_Core_2 - Ethernet1/7 Physical Address changed from 000000003811 to 73616D653811

NSW_Core_2 - Ethernet1/7 Physical Address changed from 200B82B43811 to 000000003811

For each interface I have messages like these repeating.

I am not sure what those messages means or if there is actually anything wrong. Performance of the network is good, there are no errors on any interfaces and I do not see anything related in the switch loggs.

Anybody can explain those messages.

Regards,

Sasa

4 Replies 4

sasaadamovic
Level 1
Level 1

Quick update, I have open ticket with SolarWinds support regarding this and they told me it is a known Cisco bug, i.e. Nexuses are replying incorrectly and inconsistently to SNMP queries for MAC addresses. Anybody seen this before?

I am getting the same messages on my pair of 5k's in Solarwinds.  Have you come up with a solution yet?

Can they give you the bug ID?  I am also having this problem, I'd like to push back on Cisco if that is the case but without a bug ID I rather suspect I'll be told by Cisco it's a Solarwinds bug and to talk to them.

Bill CARTER
Level 5
Level 5

Here is a link to a SolarWinds forum discussion about this issue.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/51071

CSCub66225 Bug Details

ifPhysAddress returns inconsistent values

Symptom:

SNMP operations on ifPhysAddress return inconsistent MAC values.

Conditions:

snmpwalk/snmpget operation done on ifPhysAddress

Workaround:

None

1st Found in

5.2(1)N1(1)

Fixed In

6.0(2)N1(1)

5.2(1)N1(3)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: