cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548UP to Nexus 2248 design

rravergalileo
Level 4
Level 4

This past networkers I was at the Cisco booth discussing how the 2248 can connect to the 5548 and have server connectivity.  It was told to me that now, as of a fairly recent NX-OS release, you can have the 2248 going dual-homed to both 5548 via VPC and then have a server connected to both 2248 and be in active-active mode.  Is this correct?

When we first deployed our 5548 and 2248 we had to put the 2248 in a straight pin mode, where it only had connections to one 5548 and then the server would dual connect to the 2248's and be in active-active mode.  I was told that this changed with an NX-OS release however documentation still seems to be fragmented on what exactly is the case.  Anyone have exerpeince or knowledge into the latest releases and capabilities?

Rob

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can uplink your 2248 to both 5548s. Have a look at this link for example and explanation:

you need NX-OS 5.1(3)N1(1) or later: You can also uplink your server to one or both FEXs.

http://nexusfu.blogspot.com/2012/01/enhanced-vpc.html

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Duplicate post #1.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 It was told to me that now, as of a fairly recent NX-OS release, you can have the 2248 going dual-homed to both 5548 via VPC and then have a server connected to both 2248 and be in active-active mode.  Is this correct?

In THEORY, this is possible.

In PRACTICE, dual homing of a FEX to two 5000/5500 is best avoided.  A mis-configuration can cause the Nexus 5K to have a split brain (worst case scenario).

In practice, it's best to single-home the FEX to a single Nexus 5K.  It is also recommendable to vPC the links to-and-from the 5K and 2K.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card