Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5596 | L3-Routing | Jumbo-Frame Support on sub-interfaces

Facing an issue while routing Jumbo-Frames over a Nexus 5596 between multiple L3-instances due to the fact that the MTU has been set to 1500. The setup is containing 2 N5k's which are hosting the routing instances and L3-subinterfaces as well as SVI's which are running HSRP on top to provide L3 redundancy.

The L2-policy has been set to forward Jumbo-Frames, but according to the Cisco documentation we need to set the MTU to 9216 on the L3-interfaces manually in addition.

As we need to adjust the MTU on the L3-interfaces to route Jumbo-Frames, I would like to determine the impact of the adjustment activity and even like to know if it can be done in live environment. I will appreciate if someone can let me know if the MTU-size adjustment is seamless and non-disruptive on L3-instances as there is HSRP and as the two N5k have a VPC-peer?

3 Replies 3

dukenuk96
Level 3
Level 3

Did it on N9000, N5500, N5600 - no disruption, everything worked fine.

It appeared to be no issue here too.

HI

I'm looking to enable Jumbo frame for Nexus 5596 pair in teh data center. Was curious as to if it's service impacting and if i need to watch out for something. Any help is appreciated.. I'm planning on implementing soemthing like this. I have 4 FEX and lottts of VPC's for server connectivity with dual uplinks to N5K or the FEX.

Here's what i plan to implement:

policy-map type network-qos fcoe-jumbo
  class type network-qos class-fcoe
   pause no-drop
   mtu 2158

class type network-qos class-default
   mtu 9216
   multicast-optimize

system qos
  service-policy type network-qos fcoe-jumbo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card