cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus - 5600 ISSU

kamalvu01
Level 1
Level 1

I am yet to upgrade a pair of Nexus 5600 switches which are in production. Both the switches are in VPC domain where N5600-switch 1 is a VPC primary with role priority 4096 and N5600-switch 2 is a VPC secondary with role priority 16384. All the connections downstream from these switches are in VPC (dual-homed). When i do "show install all impact" i receive a "Disruptive" upgrade message with reason as "Non-disruptive not supported if Layer 3 is enabled". This switch has no layer 3 feature enabled. This is completely layer 2 switch being in the access layer. But i could see a license named "LAN BASE PKG" which is a layer 3 license i presume.

Now if i go for disruptive upgrade on a primary switch, will secondary become new Primary switch (without any traffic disruption with the help of secondary)?

1) If YES, after the upgrade on the actual primary, will it take back the original role?

2) If NO,Should i change the role priority of the primary from 4096 to something higher than 16384? If so then immediately will secondary take charge as primary?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are the hosts (servers, storage) connected to 2 different FEXs?

Are the FEXs connected to both 5600 switches or one FEX to one switch and the other FEX to the other switch and so on...?

If the servers are connected to 2 different FEXs and FEXs are dully attached to both 5600 switch, you will have downtime during the upgrade. 

If the servers are connected to 2 different FEXs and each FEX is singly attached to only one 5600 switch, you will not have downtime during the upgrade. 

HTH

All are connected to either (Fex which are dual-homed to N5600) or (directly connected (dual-homed-VPC) to N5600)

So, the servers that connected to FEXs that are dual-homed to both N5600 switches will see a few minutes of downtime during FEX reboot. As for the servers that are connected directly to both 5600s, as long as the NICs are configured correctly, they should not see any downtime during the upgrade as only one switch will reboot at a time.

HTH

What about the role priorities and roles of the primary and secondary? Also once i finish upgrading vpc primary switch i will have to upgrade the secondary switch too. Mean while two switches will have different NX-OS (i.e) primary would have new NX-OS and Secondary would have the old NX-OS. What would happen to the VPC peer formation in this case?

What about the role priorities and roles of the primary and secondary?

Upgrade and reboot the primary switch first and then upgrade and reboot the backup switch. This way you don't have to change anything and everything goes back to the original state when you are done. 

Mean while two switches will have different NX-OS (i.e) primary would have new NX-OS and Secondary would have the old NX-OS. What would happen to the VPC peer formation in this case?

That is not an issue. vPC will work fine with during the process and when each device is running a different version.

HTH

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread. When you say "Upgrade and reboot the primary switch first"do you mean the configured primary or the operational primary? I have some Nexus switches (albeit N7ks) that are as follows:

vPC role                        : primary, operational secondary

Which one should I upgrade first?

Thanks

Hi,

I don't think the operational secondary matters as long as you reboot the device that is the vPC primary and that matches with your HSRP active and root bridge. 

HTH

Thanks Reza, I hoping to avoid rebooting anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: