cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5k connection to a 6513 with a SFP-H10GB-CU3M cable

kwanm63my
Level 1
Level 1

I've got these cables that is connecting between my 6k and 5k chassis. On the 6k it's connected to a 10gig module WS-X6716-10GE running

s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin.  When I use this cable, SFP-H10GB-CU3M, nothing shows up as connected. However, if I use a LC transceiver on both ends and a fiber connection, everything connects so I know it's not a hardware issue. Are there additional configuration needed on the interface on both ends required when you use these types of cables ? Thanks all.

sh interface status

Port         Name                       Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed        Type

Te13/1       5k-A-Ethernet2/16  notconnect   1            full         10G       unknown

---

--

sh interface status

Port          Name                                Status              Vlan      Duplex  Speed   Type

Eth2/16       CORE-A-TENGIG_13/1    notconnec             1         full        10G     10g

3 Replies 3

Darren Ramsey
Level 4
Level 4

Have 3M and 5M SFP+ connected between 6K and 5K running SXI4a. I assume you have a X2 to SFP+ converter in the 6716?  No special settings needed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/hardware.html#wp3051725

sho inv

NAME: "Interface Adapter Module Te8/9", DESCR: "Interface Adapter Module Te8/9" PID: CVR-X2-SFP10G

NAME: "Transceiver Te8/9", DESCR: "Transceiver 10Gbase-CU3M Te8/9" PID: SFP-H10GB-CU3M

NAME: "Interface Adapter Module Te8/13", DESCR: "Interface Adapter Module Te8/13" PID: CVR-X2-SFP10G

NAME: "Transceiver Te8/13", DESCR: "Transceiver 10Gbase-CU5M Te8/13" PID: SFP-H10GB-CU5M

sh interface status

Te8/9 corp-nex1 connected trunk full 10G 10Gbase-CU3M

Te8/13 corp-nex2 connected trunk full 10G 10Gbase-CU5M

My issue is not between the 10gig X2 connector to the 5K using the SFP with a regular fiber cable. It's when I make the connection using a SFP-H10GB-CU3M  cable. These cables look a bit like coxial cabling and they come with LC connectors on both end. They are a bit cheaper as you do not need to have two LC transceivers on both side and then use a fiber connection to complete the connection.  They do have limit on the distance so they come in limited lengths but  they do support 10G

kwanm63my
Level 1
Level 1

turn out to the cable for the reason. Even thought it looks and feel like the correct cable.. btw, to anybody reading this, there is a command to try too ( didnt' work for me because of the cables ) .  service unsupported-transceiver 

the new cable even snaps with a click..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card