Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5k Scheduled Reload

kishore.rajani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a command similar to "reload in" for Nexus 5k and 3k.

I have been searching, but couldnt find, hence thought of asking the expert community here.

Thanks

25 Replies 25

Is there a way for us to provide feedback to Cisco directly on this? I've been using 'reload in' for 5 years and now. I have to make a change to a remote site and this command is not available.

You mention running this script is not recommended. What is recommended?

Thanks,

Travis

I'm not a programmer and this script looks like it would be extremely useful. Do I just copy the contents of the txt file to my 5K cli? 

or do I create the scripts folder in bootflash:, then copy the txt file to the folder and run the source command?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

You can just paste the contents of the txt file to your 5K cli.  

The commands in the .txt file will create the bootflash:/scripts if it doesn't exist and then will create the reload script file in that directory.

The .txt file was just an easy way to paste into the cli instead of having to transfer a file to the switch.

Regards,

Clint

I'm sorry Clinton, I didn't catch this replay/instructions on how to utilize your txt file. Thank you so much! You say Nexus 5k but I hope it'll also work with the 3k!

Hello Clinton,

As you said "The attached file will create a python scripts called reload," may I please ask for clarity on how to use your reload.txt file to create the python script? Should I be giving it a .py extension and upload it onto a switch and somehow run it or do I enter an IP address of my switch somewhere in the script and it'll place a python script on the switch? You also said "The attached file tries to help create the directory if needed and place the script there". Is it a matter of placing this file with the .py extension in the correct directory on the switch and then running your commands? Thank you in advance!

Hello Clinton,

You just helped me a great deal.

I wanted to try out a few options with AAA Authentication and as the nexus code (nxos.7.0.3.I7.8.bin on N9K-C93108TC-EX) I am running, does not have a decent time period argument for the reload command, i did not have a fallback mechanism in case locked myself out.

I used your provided script, with the proposed amendments and it worked perfectly as expected.

Please keep posting such helpful tips and tools.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Abid Ghufran

Hi Clinton,

Is there a way to make the process run unattached to the vty as in order to test AAA Authentication, I want to log out and try logging back in. However, what I have noticed is that when i log off from the console, the process is killed. I makes sense as the process is associated with the session which ran it and when the session ends, all background processes should get killed. However, I am assuming that it is the same as it would be on a *nix OS. It could very well be different here. I will search online as well if there is a way to un-associate the background process from the terminal/session which runs it.

Regards,

Abid Ghufran

If the thing you are trying to recover from is a bad AAA (authorization) config, then you cannot achieve this with the checkpoint and rollback options, because you cannot issue the command to rollback.

There are LOTS! of other cases of course, like you are trying to switch from one routing protocol to another, and the new routing protocol or policy doesn't come up the way you expected, so you can no longer reach the box.

You need to put the "reboot in" option back into the OS.  This is an essential command.

Hi Richard,

Is there any update on this? I agree with Derek reload in or a similar command as the Juniper commit confirmed command needs to be added back to the Nexus. Not sure what Cisco where thinking when they removed reload in. What method is there for people working remotely to recover from their mistakes?

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

Good news folks. It's back in nx-os v9.3 (at least on the N9k platform):

n9k# reload ?
<CR>
ascii          Reload with ASCII startup-configuration
cancel         Cancel scheduling of the reload
e2fsck         Set the e2fsck -y flag during reboot
in             Schedule a reload after some time
sync-adjacency Reload with sync adjacency
timer          Reboot after a delay <5-3600> seconds
vdc            Restart the current vdc

nk9k# reload in ?
<5-3600> Reload after n seconds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: