cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NEXUS 5K switch profile saved to startup-config?

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

I had read somewhere that the commit command under switch profile configures the commands that are in the buffer and saves the configuration. I see the commands under 'show run switch-profile' and 'show run', but I don't see the commands configured under 'show start' and 'show start switch-profile'. This is the same on both 5K switches. If I do a 'copy run start' on one switch, the config does show up under the startup config on that switch only. Do you need to copy the config after comitting a switch-profile and if so, do you have to do it on both switches?

Thank you,

Mark               

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you use the commit command, it will save the config to both switches:

From the config guide:

When you enter the commit command and a peer switch is reachable, the configuration is applied to both peer switches or neither switch. If there is a commit failure, the commands remain in the switch profile buffer. You can then make necessary corrections and try the commit again.

here is the link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/system_management/602_N1_1/b_5500_System_Mgmt_Config_602N11_chapter_011.html

HTH

Reza,

I did read that but it says applied to both switches (running-config) and not saved in startup config. What if the switches are rebooted; will the switch-profile config be retained if I don't do a copy run start? From the show start output, it doesn't look like it will to me unless the switch-profile is saved in another file on the switch flash.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

I would think, it would defied the propose of config-sync, if commit only saves it in the running-config and not the startup-config.

I will see, if you have time to test this sometimes next week (no promise).

Reza

Reza,

I agree that it would defy the purpose of config-sync or at least make it less useful. I only asked the question after I noticed the startup-config didn't show the switch-profile commands after a commit the way the running-config does. My switches are in production, so I can't reboot them to verify that the switch-profile commands would be retained after the reboot. I would appreciate if anyone could test this or if Cisco would reply with the answer.

Thank you,

Mark

Reza,

Do you think you would have time to test if the switch-profile config is retained between reboots?

1. Update an interface description and commit

2. Note the config change in the running-config, but not the startup-config

3. Without doing a copy run start, reboot both 5500s

4. After both switches are back up, check the running-config and startup-config to see if the changes are retained

Reza may not have time to do this. Is there anyone else who has lab equipment that could test this?

Like I said before, I assumed that the config would be retained after committing a switch-profile change. After seeing that the running-config contains the switch-profile config but the startup-config does not, I could no longer assume that the change would be retained. I still think it will be retained and that the startup-config not showing the changes is just cosmetic.

Thank you,

Mark

In the below link, the section that talks about importing switch-profiles shows 'copy run start' optionally as the last step to save the running config to the startup config. Why would that be necessary if the commit command was used previously. The only way I can see that a switch-profile configuration would survive a reboot is if you did a 'copy run start' on switch A and after rebooting both switches, switch A has the switch-profile saved in startup config that it can sync with switch B. If switch A failed to come back up, I don't see how switch B would have the switch-profile configuration if the 'copy run start' command was never issued on that switch.

Is there anyone that can test if a switch-profile configuration is retained after a reboot using only the commit command in a lab environment?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/system_management/602_N1_1/b_5500_System_Mgmt_Config_602N11_chapter_011.html#task_FCC3ABE93B384672AA34804CAC92C5F8

Thank you,

Mark

Hi,

Sorry for digging up an old topic but I had the same question as Mark and I could test it.

So after a commit successful, the changes are not saved int the startup-config, and obviously after a reboot it's not here anymore. I've reloaded the switch where the conf sync has been commited and the other too, it's not saved on any of them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco