cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5K VPC saving config

wwwillster07
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Nexus 5K setup as a vPC pair.   I can log into the "primary" do a config update and copy run start saves the config.

If I log into the Secondary and make a config change, doing a copy run start results in:

Sec# copy run start
[########################################] 100%
Configuration update aborted: request was aborted

My secondary is 192.168.203.4 and here's the relevant vpc config:

vpc domain 10
role priority 65535
peer-keepalive destination 192.168.203.3
delay restore 150

interface port-channel10
description VPC Peer-Link to NEX5KPRI
switchport
switchport mode trunk
no lacp suspend-individual
spanning-tree port type network
no snmp trap link-status
vpc peer-link

Sec# sh vpc brie
Legend:
(*) - local vPC is down, forwarding via vPC peer-link

vPC domain id : 10
Peer status : peer adjacency formed ok
vPC keep-alive status : peer is alive
Configuration consistency status : success
Per-vlan consistency status : success
Type-2 consistency status : success
vPC role : secondary
Number of vPCs configured : 212
Peer Gateway : Disabled
Dual-active excluded VLANs : -
Graceful Consistency Check : Enabled
Auto-recovery status : Enabled (timeout = 240 seconds)

vPC Peer-link status
---------------------------------------------------------------------
id Port Status Active vlans
-- ---- ------ --------------------------------------------------
1 Po10 up  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's an inherited system

To this point when I've had to make a config change I just made the appropriate change on both.  Which I still don't actually have a problem doing, but what concerns me is the number of updates done to the secondary without the config being saved..

Not a whole lot of experience with the NX-OS so any help is appreciated.

Thanks@

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Even with having a vPC between the 2 switches and making one primary and the other secondary, you still have to save the config manually on each switch. Also, based on that output, you may be hitting this bug:

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk06919

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Even with having a vPC between the 2 switches and making one primary and the other secondary, you still have to save the config manually on each switch. Also, based on that output, you may be hitting this bug:

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk06919

HTH

I think you're right.

So my option here is reload the switch and lose my latest changes, and re-apply them after?  Then try saving the config again?

You can try that, and see if it helps. If it doesn't you would have to upgrade to a different version of Nexus-OS.

Also, you should open a ticket with TAC on this in case they have more info regarding this issue.

HTH

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I agree with Reza that you might hitting to a bug but do you have any relevant logs in the log file?

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Also check logs when that happens (show logging) , check if the info's can be correlated with : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtr41546

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I just made a config change then tried to save it, same error and this is what's in the log:

2022 May 22 10:03:37 Sec %VSHD-5-VSHD_SYSLOG_CONFIG_I: Configured from vty by dst\altxxx on 10.x.x.x
2022 May 22 10:03:42 Sec %SYSMGR-3-CFGWRITE_FAILED: Configuration copy failed (error-id 0x401E0000).

None of that matches in the url above, but does match Reza's...

It's the secondary so I can get a maint window scheduled and try a reload first....also I'm unable to create a checkpoint apparently...and I'll manually update the handful of changes, hopefully i can save at that point, regardless I'll get a TAC case open.

Thanks everyone

I would open a TAC case and have them take a look before rebooting or upgrading. They may have more info they can provide you.

HTH 

- This one seems to match  : https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvi22505  , anyway you can also save the running config to  an external repository using scp or tftp for extra save keeping of the configuration (should reload not have desired effect or some stuff missing).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: