nexus 5k with L3 card showed offline

alessandro.dona
Level 3
Level 3

Hi to all,

i have a nexus 5k with a l3 card i'm not able to bring online

NX-OS is:5.0(3)N2 (1)

L3 card is:L55D160L3

i inserted L3 module several time with the same resul...if i perform a show module i see the card offline.

At the boot switch show an error message:

L3 module is down due to a BTCM down...

Any of you can helP me?

is it a license issue?regards,

alessandro

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Layer 3 Base License

The Layer 3 base license (N55-BAS1K9) is included with the Cisco Nexus  5500 Platform switch. The license provides the following support:

Connected, Static, RIPv2, OSPF (256 Dynamically Learnt Routes), EIGRP-Stub, HSRP, VRRP, IGMPv2/3, PIMv2, RACLs, uRPF

Layer 3 LAN-Enterprise License

The Layer 3 LAN Enterprise license (N55-LAN1K9) includes the following:

All base license features

Full EIGRP

Unrestricted OSPF routes

BGP

VRF-Lite

Note The Layer 3 features require an installed Layer 3 Base license or LAN-Enterprise license.  

For detailed information about the features that require licensing and Cisco NX-OS license installation, see the Cisco NX-OS Licensing Guide.

For information about troubleshooting licensing issues, see the Cisco Nexus 5000 Series NX-OS Troubleshooting Guide.

h

for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/release/notes/Rel_5_0_3_N1_1/Nexus5000_Release_Notes_5_0_3_N1_1c.html#wp296235

HTH

So it would not seem to be a license issue

What does the log show when the module is inserted?

could i perform an hot swap?till now i always performed cold insert!

From what I can tell this is not true. We just installed 2 5548s with the L3 card and it did not come with the base license. We ordered the Enterprise license and installed it. As we were trying to setup HSRP it would not work. The primary 5548 would show itself as active with an unknown standby router. The secondary 5548 would show unknown for both active and standby router. We saw packet loss to the internet and were unable to ping the HSRP gateway. We called TAC and they gave us a base license and as soon as we installed it things work.

Are you sure the module is seated properly?

I do still have the same issue.

Ordered L3 Card with enterprise license but not the "included" base license.

Customers should now use cisco configurator when order a hardware module. The configurator tells you to order the "included" base license.

I also found bug id CSCtl45495 After the license has been reinstalled, the Layer 3 DC remains offline until the switch is rebooted.

But still have not tried the reload solution.

Got a limited lifetime base license from tech support, but L3 base license with time limit is not supported (showed up in the relese notes).

So as I got the time unlimited base license it works.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi to all,

i solved my issue by getting a license from licensing.com and loading it on nexus

thanks to all you!

regrads,

Alessandro

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco