Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 6000 DHCP configuration

incognito
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, friends!
Could you help me to configure DHCP on nexus? As I understand on nexus 6000 we can not configure DHCP pool/DHCP server (like on catalyst switches) and can configure only dhcp relay? Is it right?

If yes then I already installed DHCP server on Windows 2012 and created several DHCP scopes. What else I should do?

What is the difference between DHCP smart relay and DHCP relay?

Under which interface I should apply ip dhcp relay address x.x.x.x? Any explanation would be helpful

Config file of nexus is attached.

7 Replies 7

Hello

wrote:

Hello, friends!

What is the difference between DHCP smart relay and DHCP relay?

@incognito

Smart-relay is used when your have secondary ip addressing on your l3 interfaces and you wish to utilize both the primary and secondary ip addresses to obtain dhcp allocation for your clients.
Without this feature only your primary ip address is used in dhcp request to obtain an ip lease from the dhcp server and if it cannot retrieve any leases say because that scope is exhausted then its possible your clients wont obtain ip address allocation however with smart-relay this initiates the usage of the secondary ip address to request dhcp thus you can have some sort of resiliency for dhcp

DHCP-relay enable clients to request and receive dynamic ip address from a dhcp server that is located off its own subnet.

Under which interface I should apply ip dhcp relay address x.x.x.x? Any explanation would be helpful

Config file of nexus is attached.

Under the L3 svi interfaces of each subnet you wish to receive dynamic ip address allocation and on NXOS the command would be:

int vlan xxx
ip dhcp relay address xxxxx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks, Paul!

i have the last question. Could you give an answer? 

As I understand on nexus 6000 we can not configure DHCP pool/DHCP server (like on catalyst switches) and can configure only dhcp relay? I mean on nexus we cannot configure DHCP server? Do we must install separate DHCP Server on Windows server for example??Is it right? 

Hello

Not necessarily dhcp server services could run on other high end switches or routers but i would say it much more applicable to use a designated server that is designed to service dhcp especially how closely dhcp/dns and active directory are today integrated it makes much more sense to run it on a server and leave the switch/routers to perform services what they are especially designed to do with the less burden of supporting dhcp.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

thanks Paul for the explanations

I understand you, but I want to be totally confident that on nexus 6000 we can not configure DHCP server on it. I mean that there is no any commands to configure DHCP Server, like this: 

ip dhcp pool TEST
network x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
default-router x.x.x.y 
domain-name test.com

ip dhcp excluded-address x.x.x.x  x.x.x.y

Is it right?

Thats right not supported on any NX switch currently , there IOS commands , not available in NX software

thanks for the answer.
but in this FAQ given information only for nexus 7000 series

as i understand for nexus 6000 it is the same as for 7000 ?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card