cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 design for Core

dking88
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for some input with the design of Nexus 7000's used in the core.  I will be replacing 2 core 6500's with Nexus 7009's.  The 6500's are configured without VSS in a ring topology connected to a few other campuses running EIGRP.  Would it be best to configure the Nexus 7k's in a vPC with L3 facing each side of the ring?  The 7k's will also be connected to a pair of 7k's acting as the data center aggregation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Instead of connecting the campus switches together, a better design would be if you connect every campus switch to both 7k1 and 2 and than vPC between the 7k1 and 2.

here is good doc on vPC design guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH

Reza,

Thanks for the reply.  I agree that would be a better design if starting with a clean slate but the fiber ring is already in place and cannot be changed to a mesh toplogy easily.  I'll review the design guide to see what the best practice for a ring topology is.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card