Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 eigrp

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

I have 2 nexus 7700 both conected via vpc (peer-link / keepalive) I will configure in a differente interface a L3 between devices so I can configure Eigrp, my question is , will it be a best practices configure 2 interfaces L3 on each side so I can have redundancy with eigrp?

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you should configure on both. On the seperated link and also links facing 6500s. You should not configure EIGRP on peer link in your case.

Masoud

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

I am not sure I understand your question correctly. What is the reason for EIGRP? Are you going to have routing protol between your nexus switches and other devices? Your both nexus 7700s are acting like a single switch. If you want to have more redundancy, add some more interfaces to your current etherchannels. Configuring EIGRP on redundant link between two routers will increase the probability of routing loop.

Please explain more about what you are going to acheive.

Masoud

Hello Masoud,

This is what I have, a VPC between my two 7700 acting like a swingle switch. and connections to my 6500.  From my 6500 I have eigrp. 

Should I configure eigrp  in both 7700 ? between the 2 7700 I configured 1 L3 interface so it can have eigrp running. 

7700----7700

|            |

6500       6500

thanks.

Hello

6500s are L2 or L3? EIGRP is going to be between nexus and 6500s ?

If 6500s are L3 and you are configuring EIGRP on nexus switches and 6500s, you should use a seperate link between nexus switches. Do not use VPC peer link for EIGRP along with that seperate link, because nexus uses a mechanism for loop prevention which may cause problem.

If you are configuring EIGRP only on nexus switches, you can use VPC peer link for EIGRP without using a seperate link.

Hope it helps

Masoud,

Hello

We are using L3 on both sides, and yes i will use a separted link for this, but should I configure the eigrp on bothe devices 7700 ?

thanks. 

Yes, you should configure on both. On the seperated link and also links facing 6500s. You should not configure EIGRP on peer link in your case.

Masoud

One more question on each 7700 for each interface in L3 i will have to configure a different Ip for each interface so I can then add eigrp?

thanks. 

You need to configure HSRP for redundancy. One seperated IP on each interface and one shared HSRP.IP for both interfaces.

Masoud

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card