Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 - Integrate FEX - Identify ASIC ID

schlingloff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi *,

in reference to this the following guide, i'd like to identify the Asic-ID, to plan the integration of a FEX 2248PQ to an F2 module interoperated in an F2e M1-xl context-type.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus2000/sw/configuration/guide/rel_6_2/b_Configuring_the_Cisco_Nexus_2000_Series_Fabric_Extender_rel_6_2_chapter_010.html

There is a note in the topic "Associating a Fabric Extender to an F2-Series Module"

Each port in the ASIC has an index. Allow only ports with similar indices across ASICs to be added to a port channel.

For example, if port 1 has an index of 1 and port 2 has an index of 2, the following ports are supported and not supported:

• Supported: Port 1 of ASIC 1 and port 1 of ASIC 2 are added to a port channel.
  • Not supported: Port 1 of ASIC 1 and port 2 of ASIC 2 to form a port channel.

A set of ports from an ASIC that has an index sub-set S, such as  {1,2,4}, is allowed to be added to a port channel only if the port  channel has an equivalent or an empty set.

So is there a way to get the asic-id as mentioned above with some appropriate show commands?

Please be adviced that the FEX are not installed yet.

I need to check beforehand if the cabling is correct.

Some helpful answers within the next few day would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Sven

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sven

Have a look at this article and hopefully it will answer your questions -

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/blogs/entry/using-fex-with-the-f2-card-in-a-nexus-7000.html

Jon

View solution in original post

The link from Jon is exactly what you need, but as an additional note, you can determine the port-grouping of any Nexus 7000 I/O module with the show interface ethernet / capabilities command.

Towards the end of the output you'll see "Port Group Members" listed which is a list of the ports that are part of the same group as the interface you entered with slot/port.

Regards

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sven

Have a look at this article and hopefully it will answer your questions -

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/blogs/entry/using-fex-with-the-f2-card-in-a-nexus-7000.html

Jon

The link from Jon is exactly what you need, but as an additional note, you can determine the port-grouping of any Nexus 7000 I/O module with the show interface ethernet / capabilities command.

Towards the end of the output you'll see "Port Group Members" listed which is a list of the ports that are part of the same group as the interface you entered with slot/port.

Regards

Am I missing something here? Which is very possible.  Would it not be easier to just look at the Carmel  ASIC info to see what interfaces are mapped to what ASIC?

embowers1
Level 1
Level 1

sh hardware internal carmel all

Well "show hardware internal carmel all" doesn't seem to be supported on an n7k. I've tried it on m1xl and f2 context-types...no luck at all.

I only saw that inside the n5k documentation

Well let me remove foot here. Been a bit since I was in a 7k. Didn't realize that command was not supported there.

That's correct. The Carmel ASIC is the port-controller (UPC) on the Nexus 5500 series switches. The Nexus 7000 F2 cards use Clipper, Eureka and Naxos.

Regards

schlingloff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jon

Hi Steve,

thank you for your quick responses.

I just wanted to make sure, using an apropriate show command, that the "so called" asic-id are not random/weird assigned.

That link was very helpful and well explained.

Basically I'd hoped that Cisco would be a bit more specific about that note ;-)

Best regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card