Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 7000 keep alive link for Vpc

amey.dixit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We setup two n7K as core switches in our network. We configure VPc peer link as well successfully. We are using mgmt interface of supervisors as a peer keep alive interface, so what happen when this keep alive gets down? Are we loss Vpc peer link between both nexus 7 K?? Please provide suggestions

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

4 Replies 4

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Assuming it's only the vPC peer-keepalive link that has failed, the vPC will continue to operate. As per the vPC peer keepalive failure on page 29 of the Cisco NX-OS Virtual PortChannel: Fundamental Design Concepts with NXOS 5.0:

If connectivity of the peer-keepalive link is lost but peer-link connectivity is not changed, nothing happens; both vPC peers continue to synchronize MAC address tables, IGMP entries, and so on. The peer-keepalive link is mostly used when the peer link is lost, and the vPC peers use the peer keepalive to resolve the failure and determine which device should shut down the vPC member ports.

The aforementioned document details a number of other failure scenarios e.g., vPC peer-link failure, and is worth reviewing to gain an understanding of how vPC recovers from various failures.

Regards

amey.dixit
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Steve for your clear response.

One small query.. What are Vpc vlan in Vpc configuration? Either we need to allow some vlans under Vpc or vlan that we need to allow on port channels trunk configuration.

Reason being I am asking this, because in configuration guide it says that vlan we allowed under trunk links in port channel for Vpc is known as Vpc vlans..

Please gave ur valuable suggestion

Hi

A vPC VLAN has no special configuration as such, simply that a VLAN becomes a vPC VLAN if it is allowed on the vPC peer-link and is carried on vPC member ports. By contrast a non-vPC VLAN is one that is not carried on any vPC member port and not present on the vPC peer link. The non vPC VLANs are typically those that have devices that can not use port-channel i.e., a device only connected to a single switch.

Regards

amey.dixit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steve
Nexus 7009 vpc is now up and keep alive link is also working fine, even I also created
One different port channel for connectivity from downstream switches(3750X), also I used ten gig interfaces for port channel with nexus 7009.

I am also able to see, both nexus 7009 from 3750X switches in CDP neighbour details.

Problem is I am unable to ping between 3750X switches and nexus 7009. This connectivity done from port channel in ten gig interfaces.

But I am able to ping between in two nexus 7009 in management vrf.

Can u please help me out in this case.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card