Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 log entry explanation

chris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some error messages in the Nexus 7000 log, after searching i cannot find an adequate explanation, pretty much the only thing i can find is below and i don’t think it is very relevant to my situation. The device is in production and so reloading and pulling card willy nilly is the last resort.  Any clarification and suggestions greatly received.

Device = Nexus 7018

IOS version = 5.1(2)

Log messages=

2011 Dec  2 14:52:35 IAS01LVSWIPC01 %OC_USD-SLOT8-2-RF_CRC: OC2 received packets with CRC error from MOD 6 through XBAR slot 1/inst 1 and slot 2/inst 1 and slot 3/inst 1

2011 Dec  2 15:11:14 IAS01LVSWIPC01 %OC_USD-SLOT6-2-RF_CRC: OC2 received packets with CRC error from MOD 6 through XBAR slot 1/inst 1 and slot 2/inst 1 and slot 3/inst 1

2011 Dec  2 15:35:34 IAS01LVSWIPC01 %OC_USD-2-RF_CRC: OC1 received packets with CRC error from MOD 6 through XBAR slot 2/inst 1

Supervisors switched with system switchover command - made no difference

The device has NOT been reloaded....yet

All running gold test are passing.

No module error logs.

Any GOLD test i can run?

Only search i can find with the error message.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_1/nx-os/release/notes/41_nx-os_release_note.html

CSCsx97281

Symptom: On Cisco NX-OS, GOLD detects hardware failures through periodic tests and compiles a reports. In some conditions, GOLD does not detect a partial failure in one of the ASICs. If this partial ASIC failure occurs, you may see the control protocols going up and down and the following syslog message appears:

%OC_USD-SLOT1-2-RF_CRC: OC0 received packets with CRC error from XBAR <x>

Conditions: You may see this symptom when a partial failure occurs in an ASIC.

Workaround: This issue is resolved.

Thanks

Chris

3 Replies 3

chris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have found the below in the "System Messages and Recovery Procedures for the Cisco MDS 9000 and Nexus 7000 Family" document.

OC_USD Messages

This section contains the OC_USD messages.

OC_USD-2

Error Message      OC_USD-2-RF_CRC: [chars] 

Explanation    Octopus received packets with CRC error from fabric

Recommended Action    No action is required

The recommened action is interesting, am i to just ignore the message? I cant find any other counters or logs are are exhibiting CRCs. I shall investigate further.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether i have a hardware problem?

Hi Chris

This error message means that there is an issue on link between module 6 to fabric.

Good way to check is to move linecard in mod 6 to other slot and see whether logs will appear.

Hi Oleksandr

Thanks for the reply, apart from the log message i cant find any other command that displays to me the CRC errors, do you know of any other commands i can run to view the "impact" of this error. I would like to collate more evidence before i move the card.

Thanks

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco