cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 NTP configuration.

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

We're running ver 6.0.3 on our Nexus 7000 (n7000-S1-dk9.6.0.3.bin) and I need to set up NTP.

Say our NTP server is 10.10.10.10

In a standard router (7604)  I set up NTP with the following commands:

clock timezone PST -8 0

clock summer-time PDT recurring

ntp server 10.10.10.10

ntp source-interface L0

In our Nexus 7000 we have two VDCs and only the default vrf.

What's the simplest way to point the 7000 to 10.10.10.10 to get the ntp clock?  Do I configure NTP in each VDC, or the main context where the management port is?  Do I need to point to a peer?  Whatever I try, when I do a 'show ntp status' I get this result:

ROC-NX7010B-DS-B# sh ntp status

Distribution : Disabled

Last operational state: No session

ROC-NX7010B-DS-B#

3 Replies 3

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

hi there,

If you configure NTP in a VRF, ensure that the NTP server and peers can reach each other through the configured VRFs.

read the steps in the following link, i believe it will help:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/system_management/configuration/guide/sm_3ntp.html#wp1083201

but note that NTP is a slow protocol, so give it a little time to sync.

plz Rate if it helped.

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Did this answer your question, jkeefe?

I have a similar configuration. I am trying to get my default VDC to get NTP info from an external NTP server. I can ping the server and I know the NTP server is not using any type of authentication. I get the same output you mentioned from 'sh ntp status'

My configuration looks like the following:

ntp server 10.130.48.11 prefer use-vrf management

ntp server 10.138.48.11 use-vrf management

ntp source-interface  mgmt0

vrf context management

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.128.250.1

vlan 1

interface mgmt0

ip address 10.128.250.11/26

My main question to Cisco is do I need to enable 'feature ntp' on the default VDC in order for NTP to work correctly?

Hello Brian,

it depends of which NX-OS version you are using.

NTP Virtualization Support

If you are running a Cisco NX-OS Release prior to 5.2, up to one instance of NTP is supported on the entire platform.

You must configure NTP in the default virtual device context (VDC), and you are automatically placed in the default VDC unless you specify otherwise.

If you are running Cisco NX-OS Release 5.2 or later, multiple instances of NTP are supported, one instance per VDC.

By default, Cisco NX-OS places you in the default VDC unless you specifically configure another VDC.

Only one VDC (the default VDC by default) synchronizes the system clock at any given time.

The NTP daemon in all other VDCs acts only as an NTP server for the other devices.

To change which VDC synchronizes the system clock, use the clock protocol ntp vdc vdc-id command.NTP recognizes virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) instances.

NTP uses the default VRF if you do not configure a specific VRF for the NTP server and NTP peer.

See the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS Unicast Routing Configuration Guide, Release 5.x for more information about VRFs.

I hope it's what you're looking for

Reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/system_management/configuration/guide/sm_3ntp.html

Best Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card