Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 vPC STP RSTP or MST

Carl Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Thanks for the help very useful documentation, please can help me, I know that i don't need to use spanning tree across my VPC enabled links thats understood.

But could you help me in uderstanding which stp protocol is recommended i.e. I know STP mst is more scalable than RSTP routing protocol.

My Nexus Switches will need to become the route of stp and the 5510's in my topology should always see the 7010 nexus platform switches as the root of my stp topology. all ports should end up forwarding advise on this would be helpful.

3 Replies 3

bill.greenwood
Level 1
Level 1

Carl,

in my opinion it depends on two things; 1) the number of vlans in the environment and 2) the comfort level with mst.  if the number of vlans is small then PVRSTP is fine.  MST is more (slightly) more difficult to configure and maintain, so if you are not comfortable with MST then stick with PVRSTP.  My two cents.

Bill

Thanks Bill, Potentially we'll have up to 85 VLAN's, in total.

Vlan ranges will fall between.

Vlan range 1-3709.

What would the configuration look like?.

Carl,

I would stick with PVST with this number of vlans.  Configuration would be the same as on a 6500, the only differences would be the spanning tree priority would be the same on both Nexus vPC peer switches.  I would also recommend setting "spanning-tree pathcost method long" on all the nexus switches in the environment.

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: