cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7009 and vPC/FEX

Devavrat Oka
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of Cisco Nexus 7009 with 2 F2-series 48 port 10gbe modules each. I also have 14 NX 2248 FEXs. I intend to dual home each FEX to each 7K. Can I do that with enhanced vPC? Does NX7K support vPC+?

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According to the design guide, as of 6.0 dual homing a FEX to two different 7Ks is not supported:

eVPC (enhanced vPC) is the configuration where FEX is vPC-attached to 2 different parent switches and server is

vPC-attached to the 2 FEX (this design is also called 2-layer vPC). This is not supported on FEX with NEXUS 7000

series switches in vPC mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH

Thanks Reza. So looks like there's no way I can hang my FEX off both the 7Ks in a dual homed scenario if I have servers that are multi homed / dual attached.

If my servers were single homed / single attached, then I could hang the FEX off both the 7Ks in a cross fabric sense. Correct?

Thanks,
Dev

Hi Devavrat,

My environment is similar to yours. I have a pair of N7010's in a vPC domain with some FEX's attached. But as of today you can not dual home or vPC the FEX with N7K. FEX can only be attached to a single N7K but you can dual home or vPC between a server two FEX's.

Hope that helps !!

Danny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card