cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7009 and vPC/FEX

Devavrat Oka
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of Cisco Nexus 7009 with 2 F2-series 48 port 10gbe modules each. I also have 14 NX 2248 FEXs. I intend to dual home each FEX to each 7K. Can I do that with enhanced vPC? Does NX7K support vPC+?

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According to the design guide, as of 6.0 dual homing a FEX to two different 7Ks is not supported:

eVPC (enhanced vPC) is the configuration where FEX is vPC-attached to 2 different parent switches and server is

vPC-attached to the 2 FEX (this design is also called 2-layer vPC). This is not supported on FEX with NEXUS 7000

series switches in vPC mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH

Thanks Reza. So looks like there's no way I can hang my FEX off both the 7Ks in a dual homed scenario if I have servers that are multi homed / dual attached.

If my servers were single homed / single attached, then I could hang the FEX off both the 7Ks in a cross fabric sense. Correct?

Thanks,
Dev

Hi Devavrat,

My environment is similar to yours. I have a pair of N7010's in a vPC domain with some FEX's attached. But as of today you can not dual home or vPC the FEX with N7K. FEX can only be attached to a single N7K but you can dual home or vPC between a server two FEX's.

Hope that helps !!

Danny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card