cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7710 empty slots

Madura Malwatte
Level 4
Level 4

I have a Nexus 7710 chassis with only 3 linecards out of possible 8. This leaves 5 slots free with the blanking plate cover. Is there any best practice on which slots to use for linecards when the chassis is not fully populated?

I had issues in the past with 6807-XL, when leaving adjacent slots empty, I received warnings in the logs about air flow. And had to put all the linecards together to stop the warnings. Will this happen with the Nexus platform?

I couldn't find anything in the documentation though.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If the slots are not in use, leave/attach the blanking plates in place. Do not leave any slots "exposed" or without any plates on them.

Hi Leo,

I will definitely have the blanking plates on the unused slots. But this is more about the placement of the linecards, I know with the 6807-XL the linecards did not like adjacent empty slots, hence the warning messages about airflow/heating, etc. Example I had a linecard in slot 1 and slot 5, and SUP in slot 3 (slot 2 was empty), it didnt like that. Moved the linecard from slot 5 to slot 2 and error disappeared. So slot 1,2 and 3 were populated in the chassis.

Is it similar for the nexus 7700?

Hi,

That should not be the case with any platform unless something is wrong. I have 6807s and never seen what you are describing.  It shouldn't matter what slot is full and what slot is empty. You should not see any errors.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card