cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7k/5k design

baracus11
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single 7010 chassis w/ 2 M132XP's and 2 M148GT's. I understand that a few more 7k's would be nice to complete a 3-tier design, but that wasn't possible. I also have 2 5k's and 12 2k's in the project. I have the VDC license and came up w/ the following 2-tier collapsed core/agg design using dual-vPC between the 7k-5k's. All L2 links. I debated using all 4 VDC's and going 3-tier, but I ended up using so many ports connecting the VDC's together it was difficult to justify. For EIGRP between the 7k's, I am thinking 2 VLANs w/ 30bit subnets and neighboring w/ SVI's over the vPC peer-link. Is this the best design option w/ the hardware available? Any other recomendations?

See picture for details.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

James Wilkinson
Level 1
Level 1

I was working with the Nexus 7K last year and there are some things to consider when working with VPC and layer 3 SVI to consider.  Specifically I had a need to be able to do both layer 2 trunks and layer 3 routing.  In my previous configuration with VSS this was not and issue because the single active supervisor.  VPC is a different animal and cannot route traffic back accross a link so there are some design considerations I got from Cisco's Nexus business unit.  Because of you design I thought that I would share my notes, I hope that they are helpful...

Layer 3 and vPC Interactions: Unsupported Designs:

1. Peering over a vPC inter-connection

2. Peering over an STP inter-connection using a vPC VLAN

3. Peering over a vPC inter-connection

vPC Connect layer-3 routing device

- When connect layer-3 routing devices to a vPC domain, do not form routing adjacency with vPC peer devices over the vPC peer-link (unsupported design)

- If dynamic routing is required to a vPC domain, L3 routed interfaces should be utilized

- If L3 routed interfaces can not be used, connect L3 routing devices to a vPC domain using vPC and implement static routing to FHRP address

vPC Design Considerations

Do not mix vPC and Layer 3 on the same interface

- Different recommendation for Aggregation to Core than with VSS ECMP LInks

- Use separate L3 links to hook up Core Switches to a vPC domain

- Don’t use L2 port channel to attach routers to a vPC domain unless you statically route to HSRP address

- If both, routed and bridged traffic is required, use individual L3 links for routed traffic and L2 port- channel for bridged traffic

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also please consider that all VDC will use same hardware resources - so no actual redandancy will be available. If one linecard will fail, both VDCs will be affected. Same with TCAM, memory etc - if one VDC will drain resources, second vdc will be affected.

As for routing between devices: it's better to use L3 link between vdc to run routing. And use ECMP link to connect upstream router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card