Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K Power Redundancy Modes

I have two nexus 7010 switches that I would like to add additional blades to. The problem is that in Power-supply redundancy mode, I do not have enough power with two 6KW power supplies. My power requirements would be a bit over 6.5KW.  I do have additional 6KW power supplies that I can add to go to three power supplies.

The question I have is how should I configure the power supply redundancy as I would like the ability to hot swap the power supplies, as well as coverage if one were to go out.

If I choose power supply redundancy mode with 3 power supplies, I know that I will have enough power (12KW, 2 x 6KW + 6KW reserve) for my new blade, however, what happens if a power supply were to fail? Would one of the blades power down...or would it only do that on a reboot, buying me enough time to replace the power supply?

"

• Power-supply redundancy mode—Allows you to replace a power supply during switch operations. All power supplies are active. The available power is calculated as the least amount of power available from all but one of the power supplies (N+1). The reserve power is the amount of power output by the power supply that can output the most power. For example, if three power supplies output 3 kW, 6 kW, and 6 kW, the available power is 9 kW (3 kW + 6 kW) and the reserve power is 6 kW.""

If I choose to go with a shared mode, I know that I will have 18KW available power (3X6KW), enough for all of my blades. However, what happens when I switch to shared mode? Is the command disruptive? Will it trigger a reboot? Will adding a 3rd power supply cause a disruption? How about the failure of a power supply? Will the switch just have 12KW available?

"Combined mode—Provides the maximum amount of available power by utilizing the combined power output from all installed power supplies for switch operations. This mode does not provide redundancy."

What are my best options in this case? I wish to avoid any disruptions, and have a configuration that provides redundant power and the ability to hotswap in the case of a power supply failure. I also do not want to buy larger power supplies if I can avoid it (an upgrade to 7706's may be on the horizon).

Quotations are from:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/hw/nexus7000/installation/guide/n7k_hig_book/n7k_sys_specs.html#45637

Thanks,

Phill

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card