cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9000 C92348GC-X basic configuration

Luke Smith
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to the Nexus line and I'm seeing that it does not fall in line with any other Cisco IOS that I've used before. What I'm trying to do is a very basic setup. I'm using this switch as basically a Layer 2 switch but with remote management via the uplink. Right now I have it configured as the following:

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.5.1

interface loopback0
ip address 192.168.5.4/24

I have plugged in the uplink cable into Eth1/1 and no shut that port. From within the switch, I can't ping the gateway and from the gateway I can't ping the switch. I do have another Foundry switch sitting in between the gateway and this Nexus as the Nexus will eventually replace this older Foundry switch and I can't ping the Foundry either. All I'm looking for is gaining the ability to have Layer 3 via the uplink for management and everything else will just be basic layer 2. Using the management port isn't an option as this switch does not physically reside with the gateway device, it is in another building several miles away connected by fiber.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

interface loopback0
ip address 192.168.5.4/24

If the switch is layer-2 only, you don't need a loopback address

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.5.1

In addition to the IP route command, you also need an SVI for the management vlan

example:

interface vlan 10

IP address 192.168.5.x

no sh

you also need to add the management vlan (10) to port Eth1/1 interface or make the link a trunk port.

HTH

I need the ability to manage it though, All ports are in a shutdown state, so as I turn up new interfaces I'm going to need a way to get into the device remotely as I manage the switch not the equipment that plugs into it.

I tried to do "interface vlan 10" but it was erroring out on me.

I also did a specific VLAN on Eth1/1 and it didn't make a difference, right now I have everything configured as VLAN1 and just trying to get basic connectivity. I can move the IP on the Loopback0 to Eth1/1 and I can gain connectivity but I don't see that being viable when I start using the other 48 ports ... unless I'm mistaken and that will work, like I said I'm new to the Nexus switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card