cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9000 voip command

sweeneyjoe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,   we have cisco 3750 switches and are replacing them  with Cisco Nexus 9000.  the 3750 has the command  "switchport voice vlan 20"

we are running voip phones and all of the switchports have this command.  the 9000 does not accept this command.   looking for a command to enter on the 9000 which would replace the switchport command.  thank you

2 Replies 2

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no such command availalble on the nexus 9K.

The Nexus as far as I know does not and will not support the command "switchport voice
vlan X". The workaround to get the phone and PC to work on the same port
will be to create the port as a trunk and allow the data vlan and the voice
vlan. This is not optimal because you will not send CDP packets advertising
the voice vlan, but it will work.

Interface e3/6
Switchport 
Switchport mode trunk
Switchport trunk access vlan 100, 200

HTH

Regards

Inayath

As has been mentioned above the Nexus line is a DC product and not intended for IP Phones, but occasionally you need a  phone inside the DC .

With a power cube (no POE on the n9k) and nothing special hardcoded on the phone, the following config worked for me and allowed the Phone to get a DHCP address on the Voice VLAN. It's a bit unusual to have the NATIVE VLAN and the .1q VLAN set the same, but without that, DHCP didn't happen.

! 7962 registers and Pings on Voice VLAN with DHCP Enabled and Nothing Hardcoded:
interface EthernetX/X
  description DC Phone
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk native vlan <VOICE-VLAN>
  switchport trunk allowed vlan <VOICE-VLAN>
  mtu 9216
  speed auto 100
  service-policy type qos input PM-IN-QOSMARKING no-stats
  no snmp trap link-status
  shut
  no shutdown
exit

The above config is OK for phone calls, but it doesn't allow a PC connected at the back of the phone and you should disable the PC port (via Call Manager) to prevent someone accidentally connecting a PC to the Voice VLAN.

I think if you want to connect a PC, you may need to look at hardcoding the PC VLAN and/or Admin VLAN within the phone settings before adding the PC VLAN to the trunk (not something I have tested).

Hope this helps

James.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card