cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 9300 : how many interfaces per vpc port channel ?

pascalfr0
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

(I've included a quick diagram with this post to give a better view of what i'm trying to explain :-) )

I'm planning to use two nexus 9332pq as core switches for a small datacenter, in nxos (non aci) mode.

These new switches would concentrate existing access switches stacks (non Cisco switches, with lacp support), with 4x10GE uplinks.

I'd like to use VPC on the new nexus 9300 cores to distribute 4 uplink from each access stack, with 2 member links on nexus-1 and 2 other member links on nexus-2.

I've got 2 questions about this configuration :

- how many members can I add in a VPC port channel, on the nexus side ? Here I'd like to have 4 links in the VPC ports channel, two links per NX9332pq. Is that ok ?

- on 9332pq you have to "break"/channelize 40G ports with break out cables to produce 4x10G interfaces. Can these 10GE interfaces (coming from a channelized 40G interface) be used as standard 10GE interfaces and then be added to a VPC port channel ?

Thanks,

Pascal

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe you can have up to 16 members in a VPC but only a maximum of 8 can be active.  The extras are used as standbys.

I believe they can be used as standard 10Gbe ports - otherwise what would be the point of the break out cable?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card