cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 93180 inconsistent per-port download speed

Turbo727
Level 1
Level 1

We have a couple of 93180 switches running vPC as our core. A Cisco server is dual-homed to the core switches via a Ether-channel of 2 x 10Gbps (MTU 9216), the Internet is a single link of 1Gbps (MTU1500) into one of the switches. When I do speedtest, I got ~900Mbps down and ~900Mbps up, which is great, matches the expectation.

Here comes the problem, when I try to do speedtest from a local laptop on 1000Base-T (MTU 1500), I could only get ~500Mbps down and ~900Mbps up. This laptop is plugged into the switch directly, i.e. no middle devices. it's in the same subnet as the server and used identical DNS etc. settings.

I initially thought was it might be the FTD firewall, however, I disconnected the firewall and changed my IP to the firewall's, i.e. Laptop - Switch - Internet. I got the same speed ~500Mbps down and ~900Mbps up.

This makes me think is there any hardware or software limitation or mechanism on the switch that slows down the download speed?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

BIOS: version 07. 61
NXOS: version 7. 0(3)17(3)
Cisco Nexus 9000 93180yc-ex chassis

Laptop Port Configuration:

interface Ethernet1/8
Switchport
switchport access vlan 8
no shutdown

Server Port Configuration:

interface port-channel18
switchport
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree port type normal
spanning-tree guard root
mtu 9216
vpc 18

interface Ethernetl/38
switchport
switchport mode trunk
mtu9216
channel-group 10 mode active
no shutdown

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a look at the interface counters for the client port (laptop) and the uplink ports that you mention.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks but No CRC, reset etc, all clean

- I wonder if the laptop can be considered as a 'sufficient-strong-tester' for this case, is or can it be aligned with the network MTU (?), and or does it have sufficient resources (?) ,  perhaps you need a server platform to have valid-testing.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

have you tried worth changing end to end MTU same and what was the outcome ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card