Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 93180YC-EX Switch OSPF and VPC

mohammed01701
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I am trying to implement NEXUS on DC  my organization see the picture. We are trying to run VPC between two NEXUS 93180 and with routing license to run ospf to the Central Core and that link is port-channel with vpc command, is there possible to run L3 over vpc link, and if that is ok, how to configure: Give me some example. It is first time i am working nexus.

Please give some configuration example.

Thanks 

/Mohammed

7 Replies 7

~chris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

yes, you can configure OSPF between these to N9K switches. Configure a VLAN + SVI which is only available on the VPC peer-link.

Here a link to the supported topoligies: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/118997-technote-nexus-00.html

HTH,

~chris

Hi!

If i understand correct it support from  7.0(3)I5(1)+ image. And Cisco recommands to use 7.0.3.I4.7. and my question is of i use this image which is not recommanded is that smart to use i DC?

Another question: do i run run ospf between Nexus?

/Mohammed

Hi,

the question is what feature do you need? An OSPF just between the two N9K Switches or an OSPF adjacency over a VPC (Virtual-Port-Channel, connected to both N9K), like L3-B or L3-C in the link I posted.

If you just need the OSPF between the two N9K, you can use the recommended NxOS.

Otherwise you need the NxOS where the feature "peer-router" is available. But for this you need to check the Releasenotes/Configuration Guide and maybe the CVD (Cisco validated Designguide).

HTH,

~chris

Hi!

I just need a ospf like L3-B or L3-C. If i use port-channel from the nexus to the router on the botten. Do i need to have double ospf neighbors from the router on botten, one ospf neighbor to nexus_swi1 another neighbort go nexus_sw2? Do i understand correct?

How the traffic will travel from the botten router to ospf, i do have 2x10G could i use both or will it trafic use only 10G link at time?

Thanks

/Mohammed

Hi!

Any other help.. 

/Mohammed

Hi,

if you need a routed VPC, make sure that the feature 'peer-router' is available in your NxOS.

In most cases I dont' use this feature and prefer seperate single links. In case of using OSPF you have ECMP and based of your session Link-A oder Link-B will be used. So you will have a simple load-sharing.

One reason I prefer these two routed links is, you can move the traffic from one link to the other one in case of troubleshooting.

The only disadvantage  is, you will have two OSPF neighbor's....

HTH,

~chris

Hi Chris!

you wrote "if you need a routed VPC, make sure that the feature 'peer-router' is available in your NxOS."

I think peer-router is a function (or command) not a feature... do i understand wrong?

What i want is to have one port-channel which is connected to nexus switchs, why because i need 2x10g at the same time, i do have interface limitation:(. Alternative single links i have already tested and it is not what i do need. 

Now i tested to run ospf like L3-B and VRRP on the nexus switchs and every thing works just fine, the ospf is working prefect. I am using broadcast ospf, uses one vlan x with/29 ip address on all routers which is participating ospf. But i am wondering if there is disadvantage to do.. 

Is there someone who has designed VPC/routing in Data center? What are you recommending? We are wondering also another alternative to IS-IS, BGP and MPLS instead av OSPF, because off we have some vlans which wee need to cross over L3 links? But now we are on (lab time) and trying to design our Data Center like how we can connect to the LAN-core....

Every idea is welcome...... 

/Mohammed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card