cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9332PQ Speed Groups

jzetterman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, I'm trying to configure a QSFP to SFP+ adapter on a port on my new Nexus 9332PQ switch. I see that I need to adjust the port group on one of the speed-group modules, however, I can't find any information about what port ranges constitute the different speed-group's. I did find this: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_chapter_010.html

However, it only references 9396, 93128, and 937x devices. I was assured by my vendor that this switch supported a QSFP to SFP+ adapter, so I'm assuming it's just a newer model and that config guide just hasn't been updated. Can someone help me out?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Parten
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, this in deed does support the QSA adapter as I am using it presently. However, it appears the documentation is not updated properly to also include the "groups of 6 ports" to also include the Nexus 9332PQ switch, as the limitation exists on there. Thus, I had to configure the speed-group 10000 on port 1/27 to get ports 1/27 - 1/32 to operate with the QSA adapter. 

So, in all, the group of 6 ports will start with the first interface you have selected and, counting that first interface as 1, the next 5 ports will be QSA adapter capable. Not sure if this is a "bug" or just an oversight in the documentation. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Robert Parten
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, this in deed does support the QSA adapter as I am using it presently. However, it appears the documentation is not updated properly to also include the "groups of 6 ports" to also include the Nexus 9332PQ switch, as the limitation exists on there. Thus, I had to configure the speed-group 10000 on port 1/27 to get ports 1/27 - 1/32 to operate with the QSA adapter. 

So, in all, the group of 6 ports will start with the first interface you have selected and, counting that first interface as 1, the next 5 ports will be QSA adapter capable. Not sure if this is a "bug" or just an oversight in the documentation. 

Interesting. I did figure out today that port 27 allowed me to set the speed group to 10000. When I look at the interface now it says speed-group 10000, interestingly though, the other ports (28-32) don't indicate their speed group, which is somewhat annoying. It would be really great if you could set the speed on a port-by-port basis. Having to change the speed on 6 ports just to get connectivity over one is definitely not ideal and pretty wasteful. Thank goodness I didn't have to throw away ports 1-12 or 14-26 though I guess.

Yeah, it would be pretty nice to see that configuration "auto-expand" to the other 5 ports but it looks like it is just a fact of knowing wherever you configure speed-group 10000 the next 5 ports will automatically be configured for it. Maybe there is already a bug for this reported and will be resolved soon. 

Nonetheless, congrats on figuring it out!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card